Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks you for information, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Now we need to help you to fix this problem.

Can you Private Message Me and I will try to help you out in any way we can.

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended
Seems to be a issue with more than just one model of HP printers? since mine printer is the 2610 all in one..??
HP Recommended

More information for those that can fix this stuff.

One of the posts above pointed out the existance of a new "Print Server Properties" tab when you select the printer in  "Devices and Printers".  I've been playing around in this and I've noted that some of the Security settings are a bit odd.  If you don't know what you're doing, please don't mess with that stuff.  HOWEVER, through messing with the Security Settings (for both local AND for the print server) I now and receiving the normal "Document was sent to printer" or "Document failed to print" messages down on the task bar. If only the Test Page would actually GO to the printer!! grrr. Still broken.  How is it HP missed this?  There's certainly enough of it happening for it to have been addressed prior!

HP Recommended

I don't know, mine was working last week but I did have some patches install so not sure if that messed it up. I might do a system restore and see if it works again?

Robert

HP Recommended

I started with Vista Home Premium and installed the HP Photosmart C4280.

I just upgraded to Windows 7 64 Bit.

The initial installation of the C4280 was from the disk supplied with the printer.  The number on the disk is CC200-10005.

After I upgraded to Windows 7 the printer worked until the Thanksgiving weekend, then stopped.  I first noticed the problem Sunday 11/27 when trying to scan - it couldn't find the C4280.

I then downloaded the Windows 7 driver from the HP website.  The scanner then worked, but not the printer.

I then downloaded the "patch" from the HP websit.  Same results.

The printer is connected via USB.

There are no other printers installed on my pc.

The printer driver is HP Photosmart C4200 series (61.71.246.0)

I have been through two long "chat" sessions with your technicians, and reloaded the drivers several times, but it hasn't solved the problem.

Can you help?

HP Recommended

Steve

We would like to help you in any way we can

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I have a new laptop and can not get my HP 4215 office. jet to print.  It spools out but will not print.  I tried the  fix as posted - when I select new driver from the advanced tab it takes me to the driver wizard.  Is that where I am suppose to look for more than one version of a driver?

• Which version did you start with ?   XP on my PC
  • Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing ? Wins 7 32 bit
  • What hp printer was installed in old version of windows? office jet    4215
  • Where did the installed software for the printer come from.       CD
  •         If CD if you can find it now what is the number written on it?  there are several numbers CD  version 3.5,   Q5600-10001  2004  HODC

If web download approximatly when you downloaded it?

• How is the printer connected to your PC ?    USB cable
  • Any other printers installed on your PC?         NO
  • Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print?    HP4200 61.53   25.9

• I called the company that sold me the laptop and there advice to me was to return this laptop and buy an Apple so I would not have to deal with Win 7
    Woul appreciate any assistance you could give me.

MITCHKARE

HP Recommended
Some more information, but I'll start with the standard again (maybe I'll get acknowledged this time...).

* Which version did you start with ? Vista Home Premium SP2 64 Bit
 * Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing ?  Win7 HP 64 Bit
 * What hp printer was installed in old version of windows?  j4550
 * Where did the installed software for the printer come from? HP Website
                 If web download approximatly when you downloaded it? September
    * How is the printer connected to your PC ? USB
    * Any other printers installed on your PC? (kind of, see below)
    * Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print? Current Win7 64 bit available on HP's site.

Anyway, the new information is this:

When I did an UNinstall this time, I was curious and went into "Print Server Properties" after using the uninstall utility provided by HP on the Full Hp download. I did that by clicking on the Microsoft XPS "printer" that was still in Devices and Printers.  From there I went to the "Drivers" tab and looked at the drivers, and guess what, the HP driver was STILL there... So I removed it, and rebooted.  From there, I just plugged in the Scanner and let windows 7 try to install it. When it did, it also installed the "Fax". Curious, I went into it, and sure enough, I COULD PRINT!?  Now, you don't actually print from the Fax, rather you can print the Fax Program using the j4550 printer that was installed, so I had to select it.  So, hopefull, I tired other programs, NONE worked. I tried the Print Test Page, none worked... grrr.

So frustrated I did more investigating, with the Printer Queue open I printed the Fax again and wierdness ensued...

I received 8 SerialNumberJobs that went from a status of "Printing" >> "Error-Printing" >> "Deleting-Printed" and then dropped off the list.

However, before they all dropped off, came a document named "Full page print" which went to "Printing" (once all the others dropped off).

But then?!...

Two more SerialNumberJobs popped in, BUT this time the Owner was LOCAL SERVICE,

Then magic, the printer starts to go!?!?!?

After the "Full page print" document prints, then the LOCAL SERVICE jobs go to "Printing" and just disappear.

I'm not sure that helps at all, but that is the most odd print routine I've ever seen, that can't be "working as intended".

HELP!
HP Recommended

Noitcopa,

Thanks the information you have given me gives me a clue to how I can write some instructions on how to get around this no printing problem.

The information about uninstalling and then removing drivers was the direction I was thinking we would need to go to really fix this problem.

The Funny Serial Numbered Print jobs that you saw going through the print queue were normal communications between the PC and the printer so don't worry about those.

But again good call, I thank you for pointing me in the right direction to be able to construct a workaround / help document about this issue

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone who posted about problems with Printing on Windows 7 after Migration, I think I have a new Workaround / Solution.

• Uninstall all the HP Software for the printer
  1. Click the Start and Choose All Programs - HP - (Printer Name) - Uninstall
  2. This will uninstall all the software for the printer asking you to disconnect the printer and will reboot after the uninstall has finished
  • Remove the Printer Driver from the PC
  1. Click Start and Type Print Management into the search box
  2. Choose the Print Management Program and Double Click to run it
  3. Select the All Drivers section
  4. This will show all the Printer Drivers installed on the PC
  5. Click on the Driver for the Printer you just uninstalled and Right Click and Choose Remove Driver Package
  6. An access deined message may come up but this can be ignored
  7. Reboot the PC
  • Reinstall the Web Download Software for the Printer
  1. Reinstall the Web Download

This may help with this problem.

Can you please respone to the thread with whether or not this solution helps fix this problem.

JonW

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.