Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Try this one on for size.  I have an Officejet J6480 running on Vista and a Photosmart Plus on Windows 7; two different printers, two different computers, both compatible with their respective OS, both connected wireless.  Today, both printers.....dead.  When I try to launch Digital Imaging Monitor on both, it crashes the OS.  Hmmm...  Coincidence?  Can't be.  Was there a Microsoft update or an HP update that came down today that could have caused this?
HP Recommended

When I double click on "print management," I get what looks like a DOS window but it disappears to fast to see what it is. I'm logged in on an admin account.

I went to add printer, added the C7280 and it prints from word. Although it sends a blank page first. I'll reboot and try installing the all in one software. I'll write about my success or failure afterwards.

HP Recommended

Jon,

I tried the steps you listed, uninstall HP software, tried to get into "print manager" as you wrote, but it won't let me see it, but for a flash. I did get into "add printer," I let windows update its printer drivers, then selected the 7200 series. I printed a test page and then a page out of word. When I printed from word, the printer sent a blank first then the printed page. I restarted the computer, installed from the HP website the 13.1.0 version of the all in one. Printed a test page, but word wouldn't print at all; the print queue never loaded the print job. I restarted again, same thing, I can print a test page all day, but no other applications will print, and the print queue never reports any print jobs.

I connect to the printer via USB, the computer is up to date with "windows update."

HP Recommended

I'm stuck with this problem too, but with an interesting twist.  When I share the printer, I can print from the MacBook Pro over the home network without a problem.  When I try to print from the Win 7 machine (that is hosting the printer) I get the dissapearing print job problem.   The driver is named the same on both the Mac and Win7 machine: HP Photosmart C4200 series.

I did upgrade from Vista to Win7 so to answer the questions:

* Which version did you start with ?

Vista Home Premium SP1 64 Bit
    * Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing ? 

Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    * What hp printer was installed in old version of windows? 

Photosmart  C4280
    * Where did the installed software for the printer come from?
         I tried both the CD and downloading.
                 If CD if you can find it now what is the number written on it?
                       Windows 2000, XP, Vista version 9.0.1
                 If web download approximatly when you downloaded it?
                       File PS_AIO_C4200_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe downloaded 11/11/2009
    *       How is the printer connected to your PC ?

USB
    *      Any other printers installed on your PC?

Fax and Microsoft XPS document writer
    *      Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print?
              HP Photosmart C4200 series (61.71.246.0)

HP Recommended

Ok... now here's a reason to yell at Microsoft...

Jon,

It seems that Print Manager has been REMOVED and is no longer available as a Snap-In for HOME PREMIUM.  I believe it is still there for the other version.

Yay microsoft!  Way to remove utilitiy!

::mutter::

HP Recommended
Any machine that started with XP of any version must do a clean install. I started with 2 PC's a DC7100 SFF and a DC7600 SFF (Both HP Machines) and wiped XP, installed 32 bit Win7 Home Premium on each. Did all kinds of updates after adding ALL MY PROGRAMS back on the machines. I generally added the WEB version of the Full Feature Software indicated for Win7 on the HP website. I have noticed a couple quirks. First, My "Send to ONENOTE" (Office Program) disappeared as well with the C7200 printer (although my actual printer is a C7250 used in the wireless mode). I then noticed my Adobe Printer (the one in the printer list!) disappeared too and I am using the latest 9.2 Acrobat. Once I manually reentered the ONENOTE printer and did a repair install on my Acrobat all seems fine for the moment. I still think that the HP Update software has something to do with this whole issue. I have removed it so it wont run on either machine. I noticed when I ran Help Updates on my DC7600, and after Update 5.2 installed all my HP printers disappeared. I am just reporting what I have seen and hope it help. BTW the build date for my Win 7 software was `0/07/2009. 
HP Recommended

John,

Thanks for the info BUT when I tried to Download the deskjet6840 driver from the HP webpage the download was stopped as the driver wasn't supported for the OS- windows7 which is now on this computer.

Anything else....How much trouble do I get in if I try to return to Vista which was pre-installed on this HP GX60

HP Recommended

I was able to finally develop a fix for the Windows 7 Drivers not printing. Below are the steps that I followed too attempt the fix.

USE CAUTION: I am not responsible for you breaking your computer in the process of this fix.

1.) Turn Off Printer

2.) Disconnect USB Cable if Connected Directly to Computer (Optional)

3.) Open 'Devices and Printers' from Start Menu

4.) Right-Click the Printer you are having issues with and Click 'Remove Device'

5.) Open 'Control Panel' from Start Menu

6.) Click 'Uninstall a Program'

7.) Find and Uninstall any HP Software associated with your Printer (Reboot if Necessary)

8.) Click the Start Menu and Search for 'Print Management' and Open It

9.) Double-Click 'All Drivers'

10.) Right-Click and 'Remove Driver Package' for All HP Printers having printing issues

11.) Restart the Computer

12.) Install the Windows 7 Drivers Normally for your Printer

HP Recommended

* Which version did you start with ? Win XP Pro 64 Bit
 * Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing ?  Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 * What hp printer was installed in old version of windows?  HP720c
 * Where did the installed software for the printer come from?  Microsoft download
                 If web download approximatly when you downloaded it? December
    * How is the printer connected to your PC ? wired ethernet, via D-link print server
    * Any other printers installed on your PC? B9180 was intalled, drivers now removed
    * Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print? Current Win7 64 bit available on HP's site.

Drivers load ok, I can access the properties etc, but no test print, or print of any kind. Works well from seperate WP Pro 64 PC.  Connection set up, in both cases,  is via Std TCP/IP port, using IP address of print server.

I have tried connecting printer via usb /parallel cable direct to Win 7 pc, but no joy.

Tried accessing "Print Management" as above - I can find a ref to it, but when I try to open it, it dissapears (bit like my print jobs!).

I know its an old printer, but good for basic prints, and I understand that it can work under Win 7. B9180 does the photo printing - confident that that will print via USB under Win 7.

Mark

HP Recommended

* Which version did you start with ? Vista SP2 32 Bit Ultimate

* Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing ? Win7 32 Bit Ultimate upgrade

* What hp printer was installed in old version of windows? C6180 (it never worked with Vista which is why i upgraded to 7)

* Where did the installed software for the printer come from Web Download; If web download approximatly when you downloaded it? 30/11/2009

* How is the printer connected to your PC ? Wired Network

* Any other printers installed on your PC? Yes: Brother laser printer (works fine as it did with Vista)

* Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print?  Don't know - i followed your instructions below, but it does not have a version number merely says Photosmart C6100 series

Your work-around has not worked for me as there is no "Adsvnaced" tab under "Properties".

Many thanks for your help in this as it has cost me many hours so far.

Regards,

Edwin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.