Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Universal Print Driver v6.7.0.23989
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After updating to Universal Print Driver v6.7.0.23989, users are prompted with "Manually Feed Unknown Letter" at the printer console. Multiple users, multiple printers. Settings look good, no other changes were made other than the driver update itself. I compared settings on a different Print Server still running with an older version of the Universal Print Driver (settings are identical). Not sure what I'm missing. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am also experiencing this same issue.  I did find a workaround though.  The workaround that worked for my setup is that one has to specify the paper type instead of leaving it as unspecified.  For my setup this was setting it as plain allowed the printing to work pretty much as it should.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

@VanMichael

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• What model printer do you use?
  • Could you also attach the screenshot of the error?

keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

printer console.jpg

As of this post, v6.7.0.23989 has been available for download for about a week. I tested this new driver in one of our smaller offices which has Laserjet 4350n & P4515n models for the most part. No issues with the older v6.5.0.22695 driver. After doing a basic driver update on the print server, we are seeing the attached message on the printers (no errors or message on the Windows 10 OS). User can hit the "Check-mark", and the job will print out of Tray 2 paper tray normally. We see this at every computer on both models of printers.

HP Recommended

I have two HP 4100 printers.  I recently insatlled a new Windows 10 64 system on one computer to overwrite a previous Windows 10 32 bit system.  I installed the latest driver from HP.  When I try to print, I get the message "Manually feed unknown letter."  Both printers cause the same error in this machine.  Printing from other machines to the same printers work fine, so it must be this new driver,  Any Ideas?

HP.png

HP Recommended

We have the same issue on HP 4015x and other printers.  With the v6.4.1 everyting prints correctly.  Switching to the v6.7.0 driver causes a prompt at the printer for "Manually Feed Unknown Letter".   Settings are the same between both drivers and this has been installed multiple times on two different DEV print servers.  Seems like a driver issue that needs to be fixed.

HP Recommended

Unfornately I don't have an update. We are still living with the issue waiting for HP to address this. End users are annoyed because they were use to walking up to a public printer and their job had finish printing. Now they have to hit the Check Mark and wait for their job to print while they are standing there. So we have put a hold on updating the HP Universal Print Driver on our other print servers in 14 other offices. Van.

HP Recommended

I am also experiencing this same issue.  I did find a workaround though.  The workaround that worked for my setup is that one has to specify the paper type instead of leaving it as unspecified.  For my setup this was setting it as plain allowed the printing to work pretty much as it should.

HP Recommended

Awesome, thanks. Your workaround worked for us also.

HP Recommended

The work around is not really a work around, that is the proper way to configure a print driver. To ensure proper feeding and also ensure that the proper fuser temperature and print speed is used for a particular media. If you have plain paper, your driver should be configured for plain paper and the printer itself should be configured for plain paper. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

The paper type select did not work for either of my HP 4100 printers.  Still balks with the message about "manually feed unknown paper type."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.