Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 8715
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Grrr! Ever since my Mac OS upgraded to 10.14.6, my HP 8715 printer and scanner will not work. I have been with customer service 3 times and still no fix.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@1irateuser, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

• Which application are you trying to print from? Try printing different types of documents.
  • How far is the printer located from the WiFi router?
  • Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.

Check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC by a PING test

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

PING data...but the IP address was not correct when I first opened the network utility. After the last dot, the last digits were wrong. 

PING 192.168.1.253 (192.168.1.253): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=10.011 ms

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=82.354 ms

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=64.073 ms

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=42.965 ms

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=9.827 ms

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=53.121 ms

64 bytes from : icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=5.258 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=11.921 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=74.655 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.253: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=55.992 ms

--- 192.168.1.253 ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 5.258/41.018/82.354/27.939 ms

HP Recommended

In response to Kumar's questions: stand alone copy works. Printer is right next to WiFi router. How can I determine if printer and Mac are on the same wireless network?

HP Recommended

@1irateuser

According to the PING data that you have sent, it looks like the IP address of the printer is 192.168.1.253 and it also seems like the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network as the PING test shows 0% packet loss.

To further check to which network your printer is connected to, 

• The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information.
  • You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot and share it in your next post. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera.

Try reinstalling the printer using AirPrint driver

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, thank you for your suggestions. However, a few days ago I gave up on the 8715 and returned it to the retailer where I had purchased it less than 9 months ago. You have been the first HP employee who seemed to know how to diagnose the issue (after contact with 3 others...the 4th disconnected me).

It should not be this difficult to use a printer/scanner. It appears that the HP software was not well-designed. I hope the corporation will rethink its software development. One customer service rep I spoke with actually said, "We don't design for or service printing with Macs." !!!!!

HP Recommended

@1irateuser

Apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for the feedback which will be forwarded to the respective team in HP.

You may use AirPrint driver which is recommended to install the printer on the MAC or download HP easy start/HP Smart app from HP Support site

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.