Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I install the printer software on  drive (D:) rather than accept automatic installation on (C:). Most programs provide the option of manually selecting the drive on where software is to be installed.

Reason for installing on (D:): free up storage space on 30GB SDD (C:) which containd Windows OS. Both drives are RAID which allows programs to be installed on either drive.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wolverto

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer and would like to know if the printer drivers/software could get installed on the D drive. This is to free up some space on the C drive. 

I did some research on this and found that the drivers usually get installed on the primary partition where the operating system is present for better functioning of the drivers. We don't recommend moving the installation to a secondary partition because in future if there are any updates for the drivers or the printer firmware, then that will be default take place on the C (primary partition). That would again lead to a deviation nd the drivers may not function correctly.

Moreover, the file size of the drivers is 143.7 MB only. I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Wolverto

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer and would like to know if the printer drivers/software could get installed on the D drive. This is to free up some space on the C drive. 

I did some research on this and found that the drivers usually get installed on the primary partition where the operating system is present for better functioning of the drivers. We don't recommend moving the installation to a secondary partition because in future if there are any updates for the drivers or the printer firmware, then that will be default take place on the C (primary partition). That would again lead to a deviation nd the drivers may not function correctly.

Moreover, the file size of the drivers is 143.7 MB only. I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I am impressed with your prompt reply to my queston. I accept rour explanation of why print drivers are stored on the same drive as Windows10. I have been able to free up sufficient storage on SSD (C:) by moving other programs and all Apps to another RAID drive. TKS

HP Recommended

@Wolverto

You're most welcome. 🙂

Thanks for letting me know. Take care!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.