Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rpk46
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bought a new printer yesterday and got into a scam with HP

Bought a new printer yesterday and when I went to the 123.hp website a chat box came up and a man represented himself as an HP representative to help with installation, long story short I gave him access to my computer, he told me I had problems he could fix but it would cost 200 dollars, I did not go any further and had him disconnect from my computer,  HP has a problem...

1 REPLY 1
Level 15
Level 15
22,771 22,555 1,939 7,118
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bought a new printer yesterday and got into a scam with HP

@Rpk46 

HP is aware that there are several "similar" 123 websites out there.  

Comments - My Opinion

• These vermin are a plague on the Internet.
  • This fight is not new - it is a continuing struggle every company faces: "the good guys and the rats"

You did the right thing, of course.  Hang up.

For those reading:

The  HP 123 site is where you can find the appropriate (and free) software and drivers for your printer.

The HP 123 site is not a website where odd chat boxes pop up on the screen and someone tries to offer you "Services" if you would just give out your credit card and information.  Not.

The "Real Deal"

123.hp.com - Printer setup from the HP® Official site

https://123.hp.com/

Beware of Fake 123 printer sites

• There are several “fake” sites listed (in search engines) for “123” – please make sure you are using the actual “HP” site.

• Notice the website address – the real HP site does not contain any extra verbiage. For example, there is no “setup” or other extra bits in the address.

• HP websites are the only websites allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

• If you are asked for money because of "issues" OR if the “help” wants to log into your computer, you are using a “fake” site. Do not give these people your information!

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation