Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently completed an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 which screwed up the program I used quite often to determine the status of my HP printer. The program in question is "HP OfficeJet Pro 6970.exe" which is stored in C:\Program Files\HP\HP OfficeJet Pro 6970\bin. In Win 7, this program displayed a window which provided quick access to numerous convenient functions such as the print queue and ink status/supply.

In Win 10, clicking the relevant desktop icon merely displays "Device Setup & Software" which isn't necessary. The printer is already set up just fine. The wireless blue light on the printer screen is constantly lit, the printer works fine, and remains in constant communication with the Instant Ink monitoring apparatus. So far, all my attempts to overcome this problem have been relatively unsuccessful. I have found other ways to examine the print queue and see the current status of the ink cartridges, but these "solutions" are scattered, awkward, and time consuming to use.

I have made numerous attempts to activate the HP Printer Assistant software without success. This includes following the detailed instructions specified within one of the Knowledge Base tutorials entitled "HP Printers - HP Printer Assistant Software Frequently Asked Questions." On several occasions, I have reached the window which states, "Congratulations! Setup is complete." But, along the way, I usually get a message which says, "Device is on your network but the network software is unable to find it using the typical network discovery method." This happens even when the Windows 10 antivirus is turned off. I can't find any way to turn off the Defender firewall. The on/off control is disabled... with the explanatory message, "This setting is managed by your Administrator." This, despite the fact that I'm always performing these chores while logged into my Administrator account. As an aside,there are perhaps a half dozen firewall rules which ALLOW HP Printer and related devices.

There are several other places where the printer or its specifications cannot be found. For instance, when I click on "Reconfigure Wireless Settings," then click on "Show Network Settings," it displays the message, "Unable to Retrieve SSD and password." Fnally, I tried running the HP Printer Install Wizard," only to discover this program was apparently "retired" in 2017. I made this discovery only after waiting for several minutes for "HP20180/www.hp.com" to start. After cancelling this browser stall, I soon discovered my printer no longer works at all. Even Instant Ink can't connect to it. Terrific.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Asmita,

I followed your instructions, almost to the letter.  Except I used IObit uninstaller instead of Win's.  Also, when I got to your step #9, I opted to remove the driver and the driver "package" (not really understanding the consequences.)  I figured it was best to start from scratch.  The final result?  What I've seen many times before.  No joy.  I also noticed some weirdness in the results.  The devices seemed to be mixed up.  The one prefixed by "Fax" seemed to be the (selected) printer, while the other device's menu listed fax functions.

Undaunted, I tried again, this time using Win's uninstall function and removing only the driver.  But now, the Print and Scan Doctor detected a driver conflict and explained some files are missing.  To me, it seemed this complaint should have happened on my first attempt to solve my problem.   In any case,  clicking the desktop icon resulted in the same old problem. 

At this point, a strange notion popped into what's left of my mind.  I wondered if my always-active VPN might be the troublemaker.  To make a long story a wee bit shorter, I shut it down and tried again to run your procedure.  This time, it worked like a champ!  Much more straightforward.  For instance, it didn't obligate me skip the Ethernet connection and select one of the wireless options.  It seemed to know a wireless connection was already established.  This time, the Devices were sensibly named and appropriately capable.  The good doctor no longer complained about a driver conflict.  Best of all, clicking the desktop icon displayed the long-awaited Printer Assistant window, although not too promptly.    With Win 7, the display was almost instantaneous.  I guess Microsoft keeps working on everything until they get it wrong. 

Again, thanks for the assist.  Where do I put that "thumbs up ?"

chuck

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Antares-CWF

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

As I understand, there's an issue with the printer driver.  Don't worry, I'd be happy to help. 

Let's try these steps -

Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 10 (64-bit).

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Asmita,

I followed your instructions, almost to the letter.  Except I used IObit uninstaller instead of Win's.  Also, when I got to your step #9, I opted to remove the driver and the driver "package" (not really understanding the consequences.)  I figured it was best to start from scratch.  The final result?  What I've seen many times before.  No joy.  I also noticed some weirdness in the results.  The devices seemed to be mixed up.  The one prefixed by "Fax" seemed to be the (selected) printer, while the other device's menu listed fax functions.

Undaunted, I tried again, this time using Win's uninstall function and removing only the driver.  But now, the Print and Scan Doctor detected a driver conflict and explained some files are missing.  To me, it seemed this complaint should have happened on my first attempt to solve my problem.   In any case,  clicking the desktop icon resulted in the same old problem. 

At this point, a strange notion popped into what's left of my mind.  I wondered if my always-active VPN might be the troublemaker.  To make a long story a wee bit shorter, I shut it down and tried again to run your procedure.  This time, it worked like a champ!  Much more straightforward.  For instance, it didn't obligate me skip the Ethernet connection and select one of the wireless options.  It seemed to know a wireless connection was already established.  This time, the Devices were sensibly named and appropriately capable.  The good doctor no longer complained about a driver conflict.  Best of all, clicking the desktop icon displayed the long-awaited Printer Assistant window, although not too promptly.    With Win 7, the display was almost instantaneous.  I guess Microsoft keeps working on everything until they get it wrong. 

Again, thanks for the assist.  Where do I put that "thumbs up ?"

chuck

HP Recommended

An addendum to my previous posts...

I recently discovered that my always-active VPN will invariably screw up certain functions offered by the Printer Assistant.  For instance, if I click "Estimated Cartridge Levels," it will respond, "The computer is unable to establish two-way communication with the device."  If I disconnect the VPN, it will respond by displaying the customary vertical gauge for each of the four cartridges.  I have no idea why the Printer Assistant should behave this way.  After all, it knows the URL of my printer.  Why should it require my actual IP address in order to "communicate" properly with a device attached to my computer?   To give me quick access to all my printer-related specifications, I've created a desktop icon which specifies my printer's URL..  It works fine when my VPN is connected.  Why can't the Printer Assistant do what I can do so easily and, for that matter, instantaneously?

HP Recommended

@Antares-CWF,

VPN does not provide stable connectivity and we recommend you to use the printer only on the wireless network. The printer communication happens through the IP address, when you query the printer for any information or send a print job, the IP address of the printer is pinged to get the information. And hence, you get an error using a VPN.

Hope this answers your question.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, but your explanation makes absolutely no sense to me.  For openers, my VPN provides outstanding and, generally speaking, trouble-free connectivity to Internet web sites by means of my transmuted IP address..  Seems to me, this has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of my desktop computer to "communicate" locally with a device connected to it and addressed  by means of its URL... which is hardly an "IP address" in the same sense as a proxy server's... or mine, for that matter.  Moreover, I do "use" my printer only on my wireless network.  In most circumstances, it communicates quite effectively, presumably by means of its URL or device name.  To prove this point, I'll remind you of something I said or implied in my initial message.  My printer worked just fine while I was struggling to get Printer Assistant to launch.  Seems to me, you're mixing apples and oranges in a hasty and futile attempt to justify the Printer Assistant's strange and unwarranted behavior. 

HP Recommended

@Antares-CWF

I understand. Allow me to have a thorough check on the settings and options and I will write to you!

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Antares-CWF

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Solution worked great. Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes, solution works great, thank U for sharing!!!

Maybe there are more people struggling with the same problem???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.