Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4522

I would like to save the colour cartrige and print in black/grey scale as default.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @1_di-,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are looking to print in grey scale from your HP Envy 4522 printer. 

Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try to perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Use single-cartridge mode:

Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY 4520 series with only one ink cartridge. The singlecartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage. During singlecartridge mode, the printer can copy documents, copy photos, and print jobs from the computer.

When the HP ENVY 4520 series operates in single-cartridge mode, a message is displayed on the printer display. If the message is displayed and two ink cartridges are installed in the printer, verify that the protective piece of plastic tape has been removed from each ink cartridge. When plastic tape covers the ink cartridge contacts, the printer cannot detect that the ink cartridge is installed.

Exit single-cartridge mode ● Install two ink cartridges in the HP ENVY 4520 series to exit single-cartridge mode.

For more assistance, please go through the User guide and scroll down to page no. 33 for Single-cartridge mode.

For more assistance, please follow this link: Printing with Black Ink Only (Windows)

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @1_di-,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are looking to print in grey scale from your HP Envy 4522 printer. 

Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try to perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Use single-cartridge mode:

Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY 4520 series with only one ink cartridge. The singlecartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage. During singlecartridge mode, the printer can copy documents, copy photos, and print jobs from the computer.

When the HP ENVY 4520 series operates in single-cartridge mode, a message is displayed on the printer display. If the message is displayed and two ink cartridges are installed in the printer, verify that the protective piece of plastic tape has been removed from each ink cartridge. When plastic tape covers the ink cartridge contacts, the printer cannot detect that the ink cartridge is installed.

Exit single-cartridge mode ● Install two ink cartridges in the HP ENVY 4520 series to exit single-cartridge mode.

For more assistance, please go through the User guide and scroll down to page no. 33 for Single-cartridge mode.

For more assistance, please follow this link: Printing with Black Ink Only (Windows)

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.