Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to install the HP 8620 Scan software that resides on the laptop and is used for scanning documents from the HP 8620 to the laptop.  I am using the Full Features Software and Drivers HP software package.  I can get the print drivers to install and the printer works fine.  The HP Install Software Package runs, doesn't display any errors, but the HP Scan Software is not installed when viewed from the Windows 10 Apps Installed list.

I have installed this HP 8620 software previously on this computer and it worked fine.  Today, I had to UnInstall the 8620 Printer and Software Package and kept getting a DriverPackageUninstall Error 5 when I tried to accomplish this task.  To get beyond this hurdle I used printui.exe /s  to remove the driver package;  And, to remove the HP Scan software I used the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter.  This did result in the HP Scan software being removed.  Just could not UnInstall the Software Package using the normal Windows 10 UnInstall Apps approach.  Not sure, but perhaps not having the ability to UnInstall the software through the normal processes has left something behind that is hindering my ability to ReInstall the 8620 Full Features Software/Drivers.  Open to any suggestions!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following steps and let me know the results.

Before following any further, please make sure that the HP printer is the only HP device you have, any HP Device will be affected.

If you have multiple HP printers or an HP Computer, please stop at this point and let me know what exact HP products your have and DO NOT follow any further steps in this post!

1. From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  2. Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter:
    Spoiler
    takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /r /d y
    icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
    for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hp*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
    takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /A /r /d y
  3. Now uninstall the HP 8620 Basic Device Software and check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

ShlomiL,

I was able to get the HP 8620 Scan Software package uninstalled using Microsoft's Install/UnInstall Troubleshooter, meaning it isn't listed as an installed software package anymore.   I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to re-install the HP 8620 Scan Software package back onto this laptop without success.  When I run the Full Features Software Package you don't get errors for the HP 8620 Software.  But, the software is not installed on the machine, and if the install process was working correctly would expect to get the install screen with the options of how you want to communicate with your printer.  I don't know if the HP 8620 Scan Software re-install issue is that the Microsoft Install/UnInstall Troubleshooter tool doesn't perform a clean uninstall leaving behind something that is causing the problem.  Or, if this HP 8620 Scan Software package won't install due to Windows 10 updates that reside on this laptop.  The Windows 10 build version is 1909.  I would like to get the HP 8620 Scan Software package installed.  But, as a short term fix loaded the HP 8620 print driver using manual installation / Windows Update approach.  And, installed the HP Scan & Capture software which allows you to scan documents to the laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.