Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro M102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I think I've tried everything but the right thing! Brand new HP Laserjet Pro M102W printer. Works with USB connection on desktop Windows 10 64bit but not with laptop windows 10 Home 32 bit. On some of the installs, it appears in the printer list but fails to function. Tried to install a firmware upgrade to the printer and get the smiley face, but I don't know if that is for a successful download or a successful firmware upgrade. Printer appears to power down into power saving mode before upgrade is finished so I don't know if it is successful or not. Don't know if the firware upgrade is related to the install problem or not. Very frustrated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Brent37, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned after reinstalling the operating system you have issues updating windows.

It looks to be an operating system issue, try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Reset Windows Update Service

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then click  Control Panel. 

2) View by Large icons and click Administrative Tools. 

3) Double-click Services. 

Note: If you’re prompted for administrator confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

4) Right-click Windows Update and click Stop.

Delete temporary update files in SoftwareDistribution folder

1) Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. 
2) Double-click DataStore folder to open it. Delete all the files and folders in it. 
3) Go back to SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click Download folder to open it, then delete all the files in this folder.  

Restart Windows Update service

1) Open Windows Update service again (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Update). 

2) Right-click Windows Update and click Start. 

3) Close the Services window and the Administrative Tools window. 

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, try the steps recommended below.

Restart the Windows update services and check.

a. Tap or press Windows Key + R, type services.msc and then press Enter.

b. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

c. Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service and check the Status.

d. If the Status is Stopped, right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Services, and then click Start in the menu.

e. Locate Windows Update and check the Status.

f. If the Status is Stopped, right-click Windows Update, and then click Start in the menu.

g. Close Services.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try performing a complete restore of the operating system using the discs or the recovery kit.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Brent37

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the printer installation. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:  

Did you try any troubleshooting steps before contacting us? How long are you facing this issue? 

For now please try these steps:

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Once done, follow this link https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-m102-printer-series/93653... and install the full feature driver software. 🙂

This should do the trick for you.Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. 

The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂  

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help in trying to resolve this problem. The link that was in your repy :  https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-m102-printer-series/93653... sits and spins for several hours without revealing any files to download. If this is the "full install package" I have downloaded it already. The file name I downloaded is LJM101-M106_UWL_UWL_Full_WebPack_44.1.2483. It was unsuccessful.

I have also downloaded and tried:

LJM101-M106_UWL_UWL_Basicx86_44.1.2483

HPEasyStart_7_5_3599_24

HPPSdr

All of these were also unsuccessful at resolving the problem.

@Barachielwrote:

@Brent37

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the printer installation. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

For better clarity and to assist you correctly, I would require more information regarding this:  

Did you try any troubleshooting steps before contacting us? How long are you facing this issue? 

For now please try these steps:

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Once done, follow this link https://support.hp.com/za-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-laserjet-pro-m102-printer-series/93653... and install the full feature driver software. 🙂

This should do the trick for you.Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. 

The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂  

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

HP Recommended

When I tried to uninstall the listed HP Printer I received an error message 2147467259 advising that it Failed to find driver packages to process. I was able to use the printul.exe program and was able to delete driver files.

HP Recommended

Hi @Brent37, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Barachiel, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Have you tried checking with a different USB cable?

As you mentioned when you try to uninstall the printer software you are getting an error Failed to find driver packages on your PC.

Try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Click on Start, in your search bar type in cmd, and click enter.
Type in "msiexec /unregister" (no quotes) and press enter.
Type in "msiexec /regserver" (no quotes) and press enter.
Click on Start and in your search bar type in msconfig and open msconfig.
Click on the Services tab.
Click on Hide All by Microsoft.
Click on Disable All.
Click on the Start Up tab.
Click on Disable All.
Click OK and restart your PC.

Also, uninstall the printer software from the root level and install the full feature printer software check if it helps.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers

Update the full feature printer software using this link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/COL71120/LJM101-M106_UWL_UWL_Full_WebPack_44.1.24...

Also, try creating a new user account on your PC and install the printer software.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try reinstalling the operating system and install the printer drivers again.

Please mark my post as accepted solution if you feel I have answered your query.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reinstalled the operating system and now have a windows update failing to install about USB errors that might have something to do with the printer install issues I've been having.  The error from windows update is: Hewlett-Packard - USB - 1/16/2017 12:00:00 AM - 44.0.3748.1716 - Error 0x80248007

Device Manager also lists two devices with errors under the heading Other Devices: Base system Devices with exclamation point icons. 

HP Recommended

@Brent37, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned after reinstalling the operating system you have issues updating windows.

It looks to be an operating system issue, try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Reset Windows Update Service

1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then click  Control Panel. 

2) View by Large icons and click Administrative Tools. 

3) Double-click Services. 

Note: If you’re prompted for administrator confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

4) Right-click Windows Update and click Stop.

Delete temporary update files in SoftwareDistribution folder

1) Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. 
2) Double-click DataStore folder to open it. Delete all the files and folders in it. 
3) Go back to SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click Download folder to open it, then delete all the files in this folder.  

Restart Windows Update service

1) Open Windows Update service again (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Windows Update). 

2) Right-click Windows Update and click Start. 

3) Close the Services window and the Administrative Tools window. 

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps, try the steps recommended below.

Restart the Windows update services and check.

a. Tap or press Windows Key + R, type services.msc and then press Enter.

b. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

c. Locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service and check the Status.

d. If the Status is Stopped, right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Services, and then click Start in the menu.

e. Locate Windows Update and check the Status.

f. If the Status is Stopped, right-click Windows Update, and then click Start in the menu.

g. Close Services.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try performing a complete restore of the operating system using the discs or the recovery kit.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks to all who helped in this solution. It ended up being a Windows Op System issue but I'm still not sure how it was resolved. I utilized the Windows Troubleshooter for Windows Update and now my printer functions as it was intended. That being connected thru a USB connection.  There are still exclamation marks on the Base System Device entries in Device Manager so I still don't know what they are. 

Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

Hi @Brent37! You're welcome and thanks for your prompt response.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

Also, go to device manager and right click on the devices with an exclamation mark and click update driver then search automatically from the list.

Restart your PC and check if you still see the exclamation mark in device manager.

If the issue still persists, check if the device is compatible with windows 10. If not download and install the driver from the manufacturer's website.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.