Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 2200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys!

After all unsuccesuful atempts to make my printer work, I've decided to ask for solution here.

I've got my printer HP LaserJet 2200 since 2009 and so far he served me good. In fact, I've still got a toner.

It worked good on my old desktop that run Windows XP 32bit. Recently, I've bought a new computer that runs windows10 64bit without printer port, so I installed it through USB cable. 

First I've tried with parallel IEEE cable and today I bought a right USB cable for printer.

After I put cable in computer, I've run scanning for new devices without any results, so I added manually printer using local port (virtual usb port 001). When I am asked for drivers, I select Windows Update button and I choose HP Universal Printing PCL6 (I also have option with PCL 6, version 6.4.1). After I finish installation I press button for test page and it only showes me some error. :HalfEyes:

I've also downloaded PCL6 things from official site for my printer, without any success; I have even downloaded some old PCL5 drivers -- unsuccessufully.

I have run out of options, please help me, because I dont want to give additional money for new printer. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

It looks like everything is set up to work. 

We know the printer is working because it works with other PCs. So we must be having a driver issue on your Win 10 Machine. 

Why don't we try deleting the temp folder for your printer and see if we have an issue with multiple drivers. 

c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS

I would do it according to the directions laid out in this Microsoft forums post for a slightly different issue. 

Microsoft Forums post

Thanks, 
Clayton

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Bonjour,

j'ai exactement le même disfonctionnement depuis l'update 1709.

Cordialement.

HP Recommended

I recent upgraded from XP to Windows 10 pro.  I have the same problem, and have tried all the steps listed. Have (manually - because Windows does not "see" this printer) installed, deleted, re-installed the printer numerous times.  All to no avail. The printer still works perfectly when connected to my laptop (running XP), but on Windows 10 I get to the "print a test page" & nothing happens.  If I try printing from any prog (say Excel) and then I check the printer queue it shows an error - but gives no more details.   Ineed to use Windows 10 in order to access the Company's online banking portal - otherwise I'd junk Windows 10 in an instant & go back to XP.

HP Recommended

I finally solved this.  Kicking myself for not spotting it earlier:

When you manually install a local printer in Windows 10 it will default to port LPT1.

Port LPT1 is for a Parallel Interface, so unless you are using that type of interface your printer will not work. 

My printer is connected via a USB cable.

In printer properties I changed the port from LPT1 to DOT4 and the printer, which had been sullenly silent for days, started working immediately.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I'm not technically inclined.  Did a google search on this problem and your post was in the first three hits.  I read the post a few days ago and didn't quite grasp the concept (though a few days ago I was having problems just getting the print drivers installed).  After reading some other forums and getting the drivers installed, your DOT4 comment guided me to getting the printer up & running.

HP Recommended

Hi Slippery Pencil , 

can you guide me on the steps you took to use HP Laserjet 2200? 
Was just on this forum yesterday, and i saw your message today!

Hope you can help thanks so much! 

HP Recommended

Sorry, off the top of my head I don't remember most of the specific steps.  Google for a driver and downloaded it.  Installed driver.  Then went into properties for that printer as Mendac stated and changed the port to DOT4.

HP Recommended

You need to download and install at least 2 drivers :

- Driver-UniversalPrint Driver(HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit))

- Driver-USB (HP LaserJet USB (DOT4) communication driver for Windows 8 and Higher (64-bit))

Unless on a new Windows 10 system there is no DOT4 port.

Then all is OK

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.