Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
1536 dnf MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried twice to install the newest printer driver and package. I reach the point of preparing to install and get to 99% and then get an error message saying it has taken too long. 

I am installing the complete package because I want to be able to use the scan function on the printer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@southcoastguy

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I read that you have an HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer and the installation freezes at 99% while trying to install on Win10. I read that you would like to use the scanning feature also.  I'll do my best to assist you with this case. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• How is the printer connected (USB or a network)?
  • Are you trying to install the drivers using a disk that came with the printer or have you downloaded the drivers from the HP website?
  • Is the printer able to make a copy? Because if copy works then the scanning hardware in the printer should be okay.

Meanwhile, I did some research and found that full featured driver for Win10 are available at the HP website and should get installed. But first let us uninstall any existing printer drivers from the root level using the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Now please download and install the drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2nn1GUo

Once you install the drivers, you may try to scan: Scanning from the Computer (Windows)

HP has developed another scan software especially for Win8 and Win10 and it can be downloaded for free from the Windows store: http://hp.care/2dsHSjh

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know the outcome. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have figured out the answer to my own problem. HP's drivers for this printer don't support Windows 10 64 bit systems. I can run the basic installation, but nothing extra like scanning documents.

HP Recommended

@southcoastguy

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I read that you have an HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer and the installation freezes at 99% while trying to install on Win10. I read that you would like to use the scanning feature also.  I'll do my best to assist you with this case. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• How is the printer connected (USB or a network)?
  • Are you trying to install the drivers using a disk that came with the printer or have you downloaded the drivers from the HP website?
  • Is the printer able to make a copy? Because if copy works then the scanning hardware in the printer should be okay.

Meanwhile, I did some research and found that full featured driver for Win10 are available at the HP website and should get installed. But first let us uninstall any existing printer drivers from the root level using the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Now please download and install the drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2nn1GUo

Once you install the drivers, you may try to scan: Scanning from the Computer (Windows)

HP has developed another scan software especially for Win8 and Win10 and it can be downloaded for free from the Windows store: http://hp.care/2dsHSjh

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know the outcome. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I am connected by a USB cable and downloaded drivers from the HP website. And the printer can make copies. What I can't do is scan a document and save it as a .pdf file.

When I tried to load a new version of the drivers from the website, I had to delete the old files first. I am reluctant to try your solution because this takes at least one hour to uninstall the old files and download the new files and then discover that the installation doesn't work. Then I have to go back to loading the windows 10 drivers to get a printer that will work.

HP Recommended

@southcoastguy

I appreciate your efforts!

I think I found a solution after some digging. Try the steps below and check:

DO THIS DURING THE HP INSTALL PROCESS (when the percentage counter is going)

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices

2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"

3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Select "Let me pick from...."

5. Select the driver named: HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf MFP Printer PCL-6 (Make sure its the one with a dash between the pcl and 6!)

6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

HP Recommended

Before I do this, will this update allow me to scan documents and save them as .pdf file?

HP Recommended

@southcoastguy

Yes, if everything goes fine, it will help us to scan to PDF. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Pleased to say that I now have full functionality and can scan a document and save it as a .pdf document.

HP Recommended

@southcoastguy

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad that the printer is now fully functional and scan a document and save it as a .pdf document. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

It worked for me. Tnx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.