Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M476dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can't Set Up Scan to Network Folder for HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M476dw with Microsoft Windows 10, 64 bit, after conversion from an old PC with Windows 7 to a new PC with Windows 10 and a software update.  I had this problem with Windows 7 after an update was downloaded.  I then scanned to a flash drive for many months until a new Windows 7 software update fixed the problem and I could scan to a Network Folder.  This time I tried everything I could think of to set up the Network Folder but I now get an error message that the "Scan Was Not Successful, Try Again".  Previously I got other error messages like "Cannot Find the Remote Server, Check Server Name or Use IP Address to Connect".

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please ensure that SMBv1 is enabled for your computer, the printer requires SMBv1 to be enabled to connect to a shared folder.

From the Control Panel select Uninstall a Program, then press on Turn Windows features on or off and check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support among any of its sub-options, then follow the steps on screen to enable the feature and test the profile for the printer again.

Note: Microsoft has released security update MS17-010 that resolves the SMB version 1 vulnerability used by the WannaCry attack, please ensure it is installed on your computer:

Also, make sure you type your user account correctly (exactly as its subfolder name under C:\users) and by supplying your user's password too.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I am sorry to say that it did not work.  I did find that the SMBv1 was only partially enabled and so I fully enabled it.  This did not make a difference unfortunately.  Also, I read the Security Bulletin 2017/ms17-010.  This refers to an earlier Windows version and I have Windows Version 1909.  I assume that Version 1909 incorporates the substance of this Security Bulletin.  I am up-to-date on all Windows downloads and I could not find anything to download about it.  Am I missing something?  Each time I try something new, I uninstall and reinstall the printer software.  My scanner works from my PC when it is tested with the HP Scan and Print Doctor.  Ditto for anything on the HP Smart app.  I got the printer to scan to the "documents" file from my PC so I duplicated the path and set up this file as shared, but it did not make a difference when using the Network Folder Setup Wizard.  I simply cannot scan from my printer to a Network Folder.  I could scan from my printer when I was using Windows 7.  There must be some toggle or some such that isn't turned off or on.  I have spent a huge number of hours on this and am totally out of ideas to try to make a scan from the printer go to a Network Folder.  Any further help you can give me would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Betsy20

HP Recommended

Hello again - Betsy20 again.  I thought of one more piece of information that I am not sure that you have.  I used to have a regular HP Pavilion (don't remember the model number), but this time I bought a gaming Pavilion, TG01-0185t.  I am not a gamer.  I bought it because of the huge amount of memory and the model that I actually wanted was sold out and I was working under the deadline for the end of Windows 7.  This one has 256 MG SSD on the C drive and 2 TB HDD on the D drive.  I still have to learn how to work with using the D drive.  I transferred all of my photos to the D drive but that is all.  Maybe somehow this is confusing my printer being able to find a Network Folder.  The paths I have tried all relate to the C drive.  Thanks again for any help.  Betsy20

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.