Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 8702
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am unable to remove this printer and unable to delete the associated registry keys.  I have tried the stop print spooler trick, tried to remove the printer with the Admin Command Prompt, tried Admin windows Powershell script, etc..  When I try to remove the printer I get the error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator".  I AM the system admin, logged in as Administrator when I receive this message. 

I (sort of) want to stay with HP for a multi-function device but don't want to attempt installing any new device until I remove this train-wreck in case of any potential conflicts.   I'm also concerned that this will happen with the replacement hardware and HP has built an effective communications wall around themselves so finding support is extremely difficult.  

The printer itself has been "demilitarized", rendered to bits of rubbish and left at an e-waste recycling center.    

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

In10city, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printing or scanning issues.

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Restart the print spooler and try uninstalling the drivers-

Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. Follow the steps below-

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Now, download and install the full-featured software from here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The HP Printer and Scan Doctor was powerless to fix any of these issues.  I even removed the app and reinstalled a brand new version from the HP website.  

I have previously stopped the print spooler and deleted everything in the folder then restarted the spooler, didn't work then and didn't work now.  

I have already removed the printer driver and do not want or need to reinstall it because the printer is gone and will not be in use again, I really want to replace this with another HP device but this problem is a pretty big discouragement.  I will not install any more HP software - Full Feature or otherwise -  I simply want to remove the printer from Windows' devices but that is where the problem exists.  When logged in as a user or Admin, on the Printers and Scanners app, when I click on the "HP OfficeJet 8700 PCL-3(Network)" the only buttons are "Open queue" or "Manage" but they seem superimposed on the Microsoft Print to PDF app below, when I click either button it just opens the Microsoft Print to PDF app - which seems to have the same defect.  See screen shot.  

Screen shot.jpg

I have been into the registry and removed all the keys related to the HP OfficeJet8700 but I still cannot remove this device.   

I have run the printer removal script in  Admin Command Prompt and in PowerShell but neither worked.  

HP Recommended

@In10city

Please start with trying these steps:

Step 1: Check Print Spooler:

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows button on the bottom left-hand side of your computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. In the Start screen type Run
  3. Click on Run to launch the Run dialogue box
  4. In the Run box type services.msc and select OK
  5. When the Services window opens scroll down until you see Print Spooler
  6. Click on Print Spooler once just to highlight it
  7. If you see Start in the top left-hand corner than that indicates that your Print Spooler is in fact Stopped (not good). But we will leave this for now.
  8. If you see Stop or Restart in the top left-hand corner then this indicates that your Print Spooler is actually Started. Please click on Stop to temporarily Stop the service.
  9. Minimize this window as we will  need to come back here

Step 2: Check Spooler Folder: 

1. Reopen your Start screen
  2. Type Computer. Click on Computer (or This PC) when it populates as a result
  3. In the Computer window select your C Drive
  4. Click on Windows
  5. Click System32
  6. Click Spool
  7. Click PRINTERS. You may get a permissions warning, just Continue past this.
  8. The PRINTERS folder should be empty. If there is any files in here they are corrupted print jobs. Right click on anything in this folder and 'delete' the files.
  9. Close the PRINTERS folder 

Step 3: Start Spooler and Check Dependencies:

1. Reopen the Services window we previously minimized

2. Click on Print Spooler again to highlight it

3. Click on Start in the top left corner

4. If you get an error message please take note of it

5. If the Print Spooler starts successfully you will see 'Stop and Restart' as your options in the top left

6. Next, double left click on Print Spooler. A Print Spooler Properties window will now open. Click on the Log On tab at the top. Can you please make sure this is set to Local System Account and make sure the box is checked to 'Allow Service to Interact with Desktop'.

7. Next, click on the 'Dependencies' tab. Please check what Dependencies are listed. I will need to know this should the issue persist once you complete the steps I'm providing in this post.

Untitled.png

8. Click Apply and OK for any changes you may have made under the Log On tab. Close the Services window.

Now try accessing the Devices and Printers and try deleting the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I previously found those steps posted by Rainbow 7000 on this form from 2015 and tried them, that is where I received the error message I mentioned in my original post.  Just for fun, I tried them all again (for future reference, standard users are not permitted to stop the print spooler, must be logged in as Admin) and received the same result.  This time I included a screen shot in case it helps illustrate the results more effectively.  

Screen shot.jpg

For the sake of clarity, I was logged in as Administrator.  

HP Recommended

@In10city

I appreciate your efforts and time. Follow the instruction below-

Run gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Editor and navigate to the following setting:

User Configuration > Administrative Templates

Here you will see Policy settings for Control Panel, Desktop, Network, Shared Folders, Start Menu, System and more. If you receive this message when you open any elements, you may have to check the settings here and find out if any of them have been Configured.

For instance, if you receive this message when you try to open the Command Prompt or Registry, you will have to disable the Prevent access to the command prompt and Prevent access to registry editing tools settings respectively.

You will, of course, have to be signed in as an administrator, and your Windows version must have shipped with GPEDIT.

Now, try removing the printer.

Keep me posted. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Now we are getting deep, but still no success.  For the sake of anyone else whole stumbles along this far, I did have to install/enable the Group Policy Editor (GPEDIT.MSC) for my Windows 10 - 64 bit home edition.  Here's how I did that:

-First I had to download and install the GPEdit.msc Installer 

-Since I have the 64 bit version, I had to do the following additional steps:

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder
Copy the following folders; “GroupPolicy“, “GroupPolicyUsers” and file "gpedit.msc"

--from C:\Windows\SysWOW64

---to C:\Windows\System32

Once complete your directions worked to open the Group Policy editor:  Run –> gpedit.msc

I configured the Printer settings "Prevent addition of printers" AND "Prevent deletion of printers" to "DIsabled".  See screen shot:

GP Printer Settings.jpg

Once complete, I attempted to delete the printer again from the "Devices and Printers" app in Control panel but got the same previous error message.  For the sake of being thorough, I restarted the computer to refresh the Group Policy, logged back in as Admin, tried again and got the same message:

Screen shot 2.jpg

After this, I opened Printers and Scanners, selected the Printer and then clicked Manage, when the Manage tab opened, I received the error message that the printer does not exist on the computer (see screenshot below), which was one of those "No Shiff" moments.

No printer.jpg

At this point I'm beginning to suspect this may be more of a Windows problem than HP but either way I'm a bit scared to buy and install another HP Multifunction device because that feels like throwing good money after bad.  I did not use the 8702  much so I can't say beyond the shadow of a doubt that the problem arose after the big Windows update from October 24, 2019, but KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449) was the last update that occurred before this whole fiasco began.  I did roll back the update, ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor, reinstalled all the drivers and software but was not able to communicate with the printer no matter what I tried.  I even ran a USB printer cable but the computer would not communicate with the printer.    

I am considering the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 as my next 'victim', are you aware of any difficulties with this printer and Windows updates/settings? 

Thanks for all your suggestions and assistance, I know its becoming less likely but I would still love to open my Printers and Scanners menu and NOT see the 8700 PCL sitting there taunting me...   

HP Recommended

@In10city

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. "

Evidently you did not read the entire thread or you would have noticed that I had no trouble navigating the above options - in fact I had to clarify, correct and update the above options because some of the suggestions vague or missing specific actions required to accomplish the tasks. 

"Device is out of warranty"?  Are you telling me HP has a way of preventing me removing a device because the warranty expired?  I don't need the device, I don't want the device and in fact I have "demilitarized" the device and deposited in the nearest e-waste recycling center.  I simply want to REMOVE the device from my Windows 10 operating system before I consider a suitable substitute but your dismissive and condescending response has made it crystal clear to me that the replacement will NOT be an HP of any variety. 

I initially tried to "Contact HP" but no longer have the printer in which to obtain the Serial Number so I can't proceed beyond the initial Customer Support - Contact 'castle wall'.    

HP Recommended

@In10city

Apologies for the inconvenience. I see that you have tried almost all the possible ways to remove the printer and as it failed, the previous expert suggested to connect the Hp Support team for a One on one interaction through which the issue could be resolved.

For now, you may try these steps: (make sure you are logged in as administrator)

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

You may also use a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo uninstaller' or 'Advanced uninstaller'.

Note: HP does not recommend the use of a third-party program, use it at your own discretion.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.