Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6970 all-in-one
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have been trying to install HP Essential Software for my new printer.  First try: downloaded so far, then stopped.  Message below says "waiting".  2nd try:  downloaded then stopped with error message about an extension not being available.  3rd try: just like the first - goes so far then stops with "waiting" message.  I had already set up the wireless connection using HP's connection help, so I am on line with the printer.  Help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tigger49

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP Essentials is now HP Utility. By installing HP Utility, you will be able to access all the available features of the printer.

1. On your Mac, click Finder, click Applications.
  2. Click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility. (If HP Utility is not available, download and install HP Utility from here)

If you are trying to download HP Photosmart Essential, which is a Free photo editing, organizing, printing, and sharing software, Click here.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Tigger49

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP Essentials is now HP Utility. By installing HP Utility, you will be able to access all the available features of the printer.

1. On your Mac, click Finder, click Applications.
  2. Click the Hewlett-Packard or HP folder, then double-click HP Utility. (If HP Utility is not available, download and install HP Utility from here)

If you are trying to download HP Photosmart Essential, which is a Free photo editing, organizing, printing, and sharing software, Click here.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I did go ahead and install the photo package from your link.  As far as the software, I tried another way.  I asked Mac to install the printer.  It identified "airprint" so I went ahead with that, and it installed and connected with the printer in under a minute.  Everything is working fantastically now!  Very happy with the printer.

Thanks for telling me about the renaming of the software from essentials to utility.  I wouldn't have known that.  Maybe it's time  the HP website changed it's download page to reflect the changes.

HP Recommended

@Tigger49

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved.

I Will notify the respective team about your feedback to update the HP download page.

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.