Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago the printer disappeared from my computer. No crashes or warning. Tried to re-install with the latest software version 28.0.1316.  I have tried 3 or 4 times. I have followed all the tips about uninstalling everything HP from various places. It starts to load and then goes directly to the software selection bypassing the driver installation.

I have also tried to install the basic driver version which goes to the installing screen and hangs. I have to end task to get rid of it.

The printer is available on its web page using its IP address. I have also  installed it on my laptop using the same software version.

I have run out of ideas on what to try next.

TIA for any help or ideas.

PC: Cyberpower full tower / Asus X99 MB / i7 - 6800K / 64 Gb Ram /  Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 /  SoundBlasterX  AE-5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try running the Microsoft Fixit Utility by selecting to uninstall a software, then look for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Basic Device Software and remove it using the utility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

Note: be patient, it may take some time to complete the uninstall process using the utility.

Once done, reinstall the latest software for your printer and check.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try running the Microsoft Fixit Utility by selecting to uninstall a software, then look for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Basic Device Software and remove it using the utility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

Note: be patient, it may take some time to complete the uninstall process using the utility.

Once done, reinstall the latest software for your printer and check.

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomil,

Thank you! That worked.

Although the HP basic Driver did not show up in Programs and Features it did show up when I ran the MS fixit  utility.

I uninstalled it from there rebooted and then did a registry scan and deleted any HP entries. When I tried to install the Full  driver package it still went straight to the software page without installing the printer, however not giving up I then tried the basic driver package and it immediately found and installed the printer. I was then able to install the software.

Thanks again, Cheers!

HP Recommended

You’re much welcome @sd10wrangler!

Great to see that you have managed to resolve the problem!

Cheers,

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.