2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cannot re-install printer

HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago the printer disappeared from my computer. No crashes or warning. Tried to re-install with the latest software version 28.0.1316.  I have tried 3 or 4 times. I have followed all the tips about uninstalling everything HP from various places. It starts to load and then goes directly to the software selection bypassing the driver installation.

I have also tried to install the basic driver version which goes to the installing screen and hangs. I have to end task to get rid of it.

The printer is available on its web page using its IP address. I have also  installed it on my laptop using the same software version.

I have run out of ideas on what to try next.

TIA for any help or ideas.

PC: Cyberpower full tower / Asus X99 MB / i7 - 6800K / 64 Gb Ram /  Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 /  SoundBlasterX  AE-5.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 16
Level 16
25,598 25,328 4,540 9,866
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Try running the Microsoft Fixit Utility by selecting to uninstall a software, then look for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Basic Device Software and remove it using the utility:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-instal...

Note: be patient, it may take some time to complete the uninstall process using the utility.

Once done, reinstall the latest software for your printer and check.

Regards,

Shlomi

2019_MeetupAward_Signature_FINAL(1).png
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
sd10wrangler
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Shlomil,

Thank you! That worked.

Although the HP basic Driver did not show up in Programs and Features it did show up when I ran the MS fixit  utility.

I uninstalled it from there rebooted and then did a registry scan and deleted any HP entries. When I tried to install the Full  driver package it still went straight to the software page without installing the printer, however not giving up I then tried the basic driver package and it immediately found and installed the printer. I was then able to install the software.

Thanks again, Cheers!

Level 16
Level 16
25,598 25,328 4,540 9,866
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You’re much welcome @sd10wrangler!

Great to see that you have managed to resolve the problem!

Cheers,

Shlomi

2019_MeetupAward_Signature_FINAL(1).png
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation