Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-one 9015
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I try to save a scan in the JPEG format, an endless loop is created, and the scan in not saved.  No way to abort the endless loop short of rebooting.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Doug1181 

Some ideas...

The Doctor can help with several issues:

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

and...

• The Scan source is marked as the ADF and the item to be scanned is not appropriate for this scan.  For example, though it would usually cause an outright failure of a different type, trying to scan an image on photo paper in the ADF would cause all sorts of havoc.

The fix is perhaps to check the settings for the scan and make sure the settings are appropriate for the scan type (document / image), the image size (Page Size setting and size of the original), the Source (glass / ADF), and even DPI settings.

============================================================

• The printer software is having problems - Uninstall the printer software > Restart > Download-save-install a fresh copy of the Full Feature Software > Restart the computer and log in

Follow HP Easy Start and be sure to install the HP Full Feature Software (Full Driver) when offered the option. 

• You used "search" to find an appropriate destination for the saved scan and 
    • You left the "search" menu up without having selected into a folder where you have permission to read / write
    • The search menu is not at fault; the destination folder is not appropriate (no permission, not shared, etc)

The fix in this case is perhaps to make sure you do not leave the "search" menu open and / or make sure to click into an appropriate folder in which you have read / write access

• You are using other than HP Scan software.  This is fine, of course, but it means there could "other" things necessary, missing, or needing attention (for example:  document / image selection, file type issues, location issues).

The fix in this case depends on which software you are using, whether the software is fully compatible with your printer software, with the printer, with the Operating System version.

• The printer itself might benefit from a simple reset.  This is generally accomplished by unplugging the (switched on) printer for about 30-60 seconds > plugging in the printer to a standard outlet > (if the printer does not come back on) switching on the printer and  > waiting for the printer to completely boot.

Need or want more information?  Search for additional solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

Scan Issue:  I am scanning from the flat bed, not using the ADF.

Printer Software:  Printer software has been uninstalled and reinstalled on two computers.  Both computer are running Windows 10.  Scan performance is identical on both computers.

Folder Search:  Not the problem.  There is no problem in saving "scan" in PDF format.

Scan Software:  I am using HP scan software.

Printer Rest:  Printer has been disconnected and re-connected to AC power.  No change.

HP Print & Scan Doctor:  Has been tried on both computers--no change

HP Recommended

@Doug1181 

You are welcome.

Ordinarily, removing and installing the software would resolve any printer software related problem..

Printer Software

Uninstall the printer software >

Restart >

Download-Save-Install the software and selecting the Full Feature Software / Driver >

Restart 

If you have not done so, install the printer Firmware

If / After you update the Firmware, Restart the computer and log in

PDF software

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

• HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
  • Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Try saving the file as a PDF file.

Permissions

It sounds like a permission problem.  Coincidentally, though I cannot explain why the behavior is across computers running the same Windows 10 version, it  might be a profile issue (tied to a user account).

Destination / Shortcuts

Open the software and recheck More > Destination settings

Destination

Try saving the scan in your AppData\Local\Temp folder.

UAC

If you have your UAC settings very high (very restrictive), consider lowering the setting. 

Reminder:  Do not switch the UAC setting all the way off - this seems to create its own set of problems.

UAC - Microsoft Document

How User Account Control works

Consider...

All else being equal, that is, other solutions already checked / applied:

• Temp folder requires full permissions, including Read / Write, for current user
  • Check / add / edit permissions for user (current login) on Temp folders

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\Temp

Webscan

Enable Webscan in the Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Security > Administrative Settings

CHECK ☑️   Webscan from EWS

Apply

Reference

Using the Printer Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Security Software

Contributed by @ShlomiL 

(Name of printer changed to match the current model)

Please try the following:

1. Click the System Notification icon and then click Clear all Notifications.
  2. Try scanning using HP Scan, check the Notification area again to deny any related notification (such as any software blocked by Windows Defender which may cause a such).
  3. If any such notification appears, follow the steps on screen to add C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Officejet Pro 9015\BIN\HP Scan.EXE as an allowed exception, close HP Scan software and then try scanning again.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Printer Software:  Printer software has been reinstalled multiple times on multiple times on multiple computers so that should not be the problem.

Scanning History:  The scanning feature has been used multiple times without any problems.  The only changes made to my computer, other than the printer software re-installations, are anti-virus updates, Microsoft updates, and Adobe Reader updates.  Yes, one of these could be the root of the problem.

Security Software:  Scanning and saving a scan has been tried with all security software disabled.  No luck.  Again, the scan can be made but it cannot be saved.

Problem:  I can scan documents and I can print documents.  I cannot save a scan to a folder or to the desktop.

Problem is Intermittent:  After performing multiple tasks to correct the problem, on occasion, I can save a scan.  I may even be able to save a second scan.  The saved scan(s) can be in PDF or JPEG format.  When a scan is saved, I think the problem is fixed.  No such luck.  I have not been able to save three scans back-to-back.  When a scan fails to save, there is absolutely no way stop the endless loop short of system reboot.

My Summation:  The problem is HP.  The problem maybe the software or it maybe the hardware, but it is HP.

HP Recommended

@Doug1181 

Understood.

For the moment, I am out of ideas.

Perhaps I am missing something - it happens.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I truly appreciate your suggestions and guidance.  If I find a solution, I will inform you.

Many Thanks,

Doug1181

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.