Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Oficejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How do I "clear the print queue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @oldstrings,

I see that you are having some issues with the print queue on your Windows 7 PC. I can help you with that.

To clear the print queue:

1. On your PC click on Start and in your search bar type in Services.
  2. Open Component Services.
  3. Click on Services (Local) on the left.
  4. On the right, right-click on Print Spooler.
  5. Click on Stop.
  6. Open your C:\ drive, then Windows, System 32, Spool, and Printers.
  7. Delete everything in this folder.
  8. Return to the Component Services Window.
  9. Right-click on Print Spooler.
  10. Click on Start.

Please let me know if you are able to clear your print queue. If not, please let me know what issue you are having. If you are, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Followed instructions.  #7 delete everything = there were 400+ items and for some reason 3 of them would not clear, kept getting a message that these files were open.  Have no idea what that was about, as I had closed all HP items and all documents.  However, the instructions worked perfectly.  It's one of those small life aggravations that wasn't causing a problem, just totally aggravating to see these two pending print jobs for months.

Why, oh, why has HP done so many stupid, stupid things?  Having to follow all these steps, rather than the past method of simply opening the print queue and deleting the files, makes no sense whatsoever.  I recently bought another HP printer for my sister and the print program is now so non-functional I will NEVER buy another HP printer.

I am glad this solution worked and thank you for providing it.

HP Recommended

What about on a mac?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.