Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer lost wireless contact with printer (reason unknown) along with the "Printer 8610" icon on the desk top.  Attempted to correct by uninstalling the "8610' software and the reinstalling from the HP web site (OJ8610-198).  This would not reinstall and in trying to address this problem, I have gotten my self "between a rock and a hard spot." At this point here is where things stand and I do need help:

The OJ8610-198 will not install completely to so the software does not show in the list of Programs thus can not be uninstalled.  The installation attempts stops quickly and indicates finished showing "1 of 1 Basic Device Software."  

Computer will not communicate with printer even for Printer & Scan Doctor.  The printer does not show in the Devices list, however, it does show in the Print and Scan Doctor opening page.   The remote Laptop functions wirelessly very well with the printer.  Every device is on the same WI-Fi network using the same router.  The cell phones use the same network when within range.  Have attempted the HP/Windows fix but the program does not find the ''8610" progran.  dsc

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@dsears2,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that that you are facing issues installing the printer wirelessly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Add the printer using IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 

8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I believe that I did not communicate my problem as I should have.  The printer and a remote Laptop work very well wirelessly.  I am reluctant to change settings on the printer, as I do not want to change what is currently working with the laptop.  My problem is trying to get the desktop computer to connect to the printer.  The HP software does not want to install completely, thus does not show in the "apps and features".  The printer name does not show in the Devices list, thus, the software that I have does not allow me to uninstall.  In summary, I believe that my problem is in the desktop computer.   dsc

HP Recommended

@dsears2,

Follow the above steps will not affect the functionality of the printer and the other computer. You need to install the printer following the steps provided above in the computer you are facing the issue.

However, I recommend you follow the below steps to install the printer on the computer and check.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

followed the instructions and here are results:

HP Printer does not show on the list of Apps and features, thus could not be deleted.

The Officejet Pro 8610 did not show on the list of Devices but I used the opportunity to install it and then deleted it as suggested.

Removed the HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer driver and the associated package from the printui.exe.

Rebooted the PC and again tried to install the printer software.  Result was notation "installation completed". 

The printer again shows on the Devices list.  Tried HP Print and Scan Doctor but can not communicate with the printer.  The driver is not listed on the driver list (printui.exe /s).

The desktop computer still can not communicate with the printer.

Where to from here????

HP Recommended

@dsears2,

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

Type %temp% in the run field, and click OK.

Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

Open folder Util

Open folder CCC

Run the uninstall_ L4.bat

When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

Type %programfiles% in the run field and click OK.

Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In the %temp% folder, there were 17 folder starting with 7z.  Within those 17, there were about 7z folders that had a 'Utils' folder in them.  Each of those Utils folders all had 2 folders (x64 and x86) and 2 files (HP installlog collectors and hp  urllauncher). There 2 files in the x86 folders (DIFxApI,dll and Remove Preinstalled Drives) The install dates on the x64 and the x86 folders were within the last few days.  I looked and recorded but did nothing at this this time.

Went into the %programfiles% folder and found 2 folders (HP and Hewlett Packard).  At this point, decided not to do anything until I hear from you.

Ran a search in %temp% to see if uninstall_L4.bat was in there someplace.  Nothing turned up. 

I suspect that all those 7z folders were put there each time I tried to install the software since a few of the dates were 1/23.   dsc

HP Recommended

@dsears2

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have attempted to reach to a Support Engineer as you suggested, however this has been impossible using the web site that you suggested.  Once the site finds that the printer is a few years out of warranty, I am circled back the to the Community.  Maybe you can suggest a means of contacting "live" support as the community doesn't seem to be able to resolve my problem.

It's obvious to me from reading posts from a few years back, that my problem probably is corrupted printer files that are preventing the installation or the uninstall of the software.  Possibly going through the computer and deleting all Officejet files that can be found, might get the corrupted ones and allow reinstallation.  If getting some live support is not possible, could you suggest some folders that might have corrupted files.  Another option might be to use the laptop that does work well and search for Officejet files in Microsoft.  Using that search as a guide, delete those folders/files in the desktop and HOPE.

dsc

HP Recommended

@dsears2,

I recommend you run the uninstall file from one of the latest 7z folders and delete then delete the rest.

Then follow the other steps to complete the uninstallation and try installing the printer.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.