Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My printer has been printing without problem from various devices in my home network without problem and suddenly stopped.

In the print queue, "Printing - unable to get printer status" is displayed.

I initially went through all of the usual - rebooted the computer, printer, and router. In system preferences, the printer (before printing) has a green dot in front of it.

I went to the ip address of my printer in my browser and pulled up the web page. It is clearly connected - it has all of the info, supply levels, ip addresses, network names, etc. If I try and print a test page (e.g the configuration report from the printers webpage), the printer displays an error 49 then reboots.

If I try to print a testpage from the print queue, it displays ready to print, printing, connected to printer, then unable to get printer status" and just sits there. The printer icon now will have a yellow dot in system preferences instead of a green dot.

Looking both on the printer's screen and on the printer's web page, all of the info is correct (e.g. same wifi network, etc).

And it was printing a few days ago.

-- so the next thing I did was reset the mac printing system deleting the printer. I downloaded the current HP software and "easy installed" the printer and scanner. No complications.

For the test scan - it worked and scanned the document so clearly the computer and the scanner are connected via the network.

For the test print - same problem - hangs at unable to get printer status.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here's the answer:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Printers-on-network-but-won-t-print-throwing-49-Erro...

Can't say that I totally understand it but it solved everything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.