Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OFFICE JET 3830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Wireless printer will work only when power cycled each time a print or scan is in the queue. Installation is verified with both computer and printer, but communication between each is not good. Does anyone have a clue how to fix the issue so that I don't have to power down each time I need a print or scan? Have tried all online suggestions and some friendly ones too. Still no prints unless power cycled printer.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Momona, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have wireless connection issues with your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

On the desktop, double-click the HP Print and Scan Doctor icon to open the tool.
Click Start on the Welcome screen.
Select your printer, and then click Next.
Click Fix Printing.
In the HP Print and Scan Doctor results screen, view the list of actionable results.
If you see white checkmarks, the printer passed the tests. Click Test Print or click Skip.
If you see a white wrench, Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it. Click Test Print or click Skip.
If you see yellow exclamation points, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped. Click Test Print or click Skip.
If you see a red X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Offline issues.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I tried the "Dr" solution three times with no joy.  the printer shows that the wireless connection is strong.  All connections passed.  My computer shows the same thing.  They are not communicating even though they are both on the same wireless conneciton through my router.  I thought I must be missing something, but no one I checked with has a clue what it might be. 

Have  I made any changes?  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver, re-entering the router information,  power cycling all. Still no prints.  The printing request gets as far as the print queue as an "error".

Yesterday I got a print once when I powered down the printer and restarted it.  Today it won't do that. 

Any more suggestions or thoughts on this? 

HP Recommended

@Momona, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you still have issues trying out the steps.

Have you tried connecting your printer to a different network?

Try assigning a manual IP to your printer and check if it helps.

Print a Network Configuration Report or Wireless Test Report from your printer.
If your printer has a control panel with a display, print the report from the network settings or network setup menu.
If your printer does not have a display, print the report using the buttons on the printer control panel. For many HP printers, this is done by pressing and holding the cancel button or a combination of buttons on the control panel until a report prints. For more information on how to print a report for your printer model, see the User Guide or search the HP website for network configuration report and the model of your HP printer.
On the report printout, look at the network status for your network connection type (wired or wireless.)
If status is connected, continue with these steps.
If status is anything other than connected, such as Off or Disabled, then the printer is disconnected from your network. This is the reason your printer is offline. You must connect the printer to your network before you continue. For more help on how to set up a connection to your network, see the User Guide, search the HP website for your printer model and wireless or wired network install, or use the wireless setup wizard from the control panel of your printer if available.
On the report, find the IP Address, subnet mask, and Default Gateway for your active (connected) network connection type. If your report has separate numbers for IPv4 and IPv6, then use the numbers listed in the IPv4 section.
From a computer connected to your network, find the URL(s) for Embedded Web Server (EWS) on the report and enter the URL into your Internet browser. If the webpage appears blank, use a different Internet browser.
Click the Network or Networking tab, and then open the section or page for your network type: wired or wireless.
Click Manual IP.
If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.
If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.
Write these new numbers on a piece of paper. You might need to use them later when adding a second printer device.
Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.

If you are unable to understand the steps refer this video for more information.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.