Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
So since I've seen many of these postings with very few acknowledgements of what actually worked I wanted to update my post.

I found a comment on another site about profiles. So I logged in as the administrator account and installed the printer. Tested with no problems.

I then moved my data to a new local profile and killed the original profile. I now have a working printer. Bit of work to reconfigure some programs and custom settings but at least my new printer works.

As I keep all my data in a non profile folder this isn't as painful as it might be for a standard non technical user.
HP Recommended

You logged in as a standard admin account or did you use the hidden built in admin account? I am an admin on my PC but I have yet to find a way to get this all installed and operating properly. I have really given up the ship on this one, and it seems HP thinks their software works....not!

HP Recommended
My account was an administrator account. So I enabled the administrator account. Computer mgmt. Users. Administrator. Enable.

Then logged in with that administrator account, installed the printer, and finished as above.
HP Recommended

I mucked around with the Print Doctor and after multiple Fix cycles and trying some of the above requested fixes, I decided to verify the IPV4 address used when the printer was set up. What I found out was the IPV4 address was now different.  Not sure if it was dynamically changed by the HP software, by the Verizon wireless router, or by Windows...But by changing the IPV4 address in the Windows printer port set-up screen to match that which the printer configuration said it was, all is now well and things are printing.

Hopefully this will not happen again, or I will have to determine what is changing the IP, and may have to see about setting up a static IP address.  This is crazy and a real production reducer.

HP Recommended

*** ROOT CAUSE IDENTIFIED ***

I have been plagued by the recurring 'Port Match Issue Fixed' that was 'solved' by HP Print and Scan Doctor on my Officejet Pro 8500 A910 network printer, and finally figured out why so often when either my wife or I tried to print from one of our computers, the print job would 'hang' in the print queue, and we would use Print/Scan Doc to fix it.  I (finally) removed and reinstalled the printer software (OJ8500_A910_1315-1.exe) on my machine and the problem disappeared on both computers.

It turns out that the printer installation on each of our computers was sufficiently different, and the two computers repeatedly changed some printer settings such that when one computer was 'fixed' to its liking, the other computer then was 'broken'.  ALL MACHINES THAT WANT TO PRINT HAVE TO BE IN AGREEMENT ABOUT THE LEVEL AND SETTINGS OF THE HP PRINTER SOFTWARE.  It may be a trial and error process to identify the machine that is down-level (if you replace the software on a machine with the same stuff it previously had, you won't see much of a change).

I hope this helps shed some light on a problem that has been affecting many people.

Al Vesper

HP Recommended

Has HP come up with a real solution?  None of the proposed fixes work for me.  I have the exact same problem with the HP LaserJet Pro M254dw on Windows 10.  The software driver and HP applications can see the printer status, but when I send the print jobs to the printer via WiFi, nothing happens.  After sending the print job it just shows 0 in the print queue with no error message, so it just vanishes.  The Print Doctor reports "port match issue" and it is able to print an internal test page ok, but cannot print a standard test page.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling the drivers (many times), clearing Windows %temp% directory, setting a manual port corresponding to the printer IP address, giving the printer a static IP address, and so on.

I noticed this problem was reported 3 years ago, and it is surprising that HP still has this bug in the software driver after all that time.  The latest driver was released last month, still doesn't work.  You'd think that this would be enough time for their software development team to fix it.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my brand new Color laserjet MFP M281. My laptop disconnects from the printer but the printer works ok from tablets and mobiles.  What I found out was that a fix (temporary) is to restart the laptops print spooler ( i´m running  Win 10). It seems to fix the problem as long as the printer not powered off.  Still the port  match issue in Print doctor but  everything works

To restart the spooler ( one way among serveral others):

search for "services"in windows  search

click on  "Component services"

click on  "Services  (local)"

scroll or type "pr" and you will find "print spooler"

click on  the restart link to the left

The spooler stops and restarts. Test with MS Word or somthing else. Note that the first  program start  will take much longer  than usual.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.