Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1280
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Deskjet 1280 printer and recently updated my operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 x64. The OS cannot find some compatible driver for the printer and my attempts to find someone online were unsuccesful. 

Could you please help me and advice if and where I could find the driver that I am looking for? 

Thank you in advance!

Manolis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Deskjet 1220c driver available through Windows Update is a good match for the Deskjet 1280 in Windows 10.

dj 1220c w10.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

The Deskjet 1220c driver available through Windows Update is a good match for the Deskjet 1280 in Windows 10.

dj 1220c w10.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! It worked! 

HP Recommended

I have an HP Deskjet 1280 printer and recently has been serviced. But now cannot connect to the PC. It needed driver.My OS is Windows 10 x64. The OS cannot find some compatible driver for the printer and my attempts to find someone online were unsuccesful. 

HP Recommended

@mdushko wrote:

I have an HP Deskjet 1280 printer and recently has been serviced. But now cannot connect to the PC. It needed driver.My OS is Windows 10 x64. The OS cannot find some compatible driver for the printer and my attempts to find someone online were unsuccesful. 

See my post above, the Deskjet 1220c is a good match for the Deskjet 1280 hardware.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have tried the solution you offered and I still cannot print on my Deskjet 1280.

I had this problem the last Laptop I bought and had to pay the supplier to install a Driver.

I still have that PC but cannot find the Driver.

Does anyone know what the Driver is actually called or of any other reason why the printer will not print.

Any help appreciated

HP Recommended

@GilroyEnergy wrote:

I have tried the solution you offered and I still cannot print on my Deskjet 1280.

I had this problem the last Laptop I bought and had to pay the supplier to install a Driver.

I still have that PC but cannot find the Driver.

Does anyone know what the Driver is actually called or of any other reason why the printer will not print.

Any help appreciated

How is the printer connected - USB or parallel port?  Have you gone to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, The printer I want is not listed, Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings, Next, Use an existing port: [choose the appropriate LPTn: or USB00n: port], Next, Windows Update [wait perhaps five minutes for the list to repopulate], select HP as the manufacturer (not Hewlett Packard or Hewlett-Packard), selectt HP Deskjet 1220C, Next, Next, Yes, Next, Finish?  If you have an issue at some point please indicate which step has a problem.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

There is no 1220c option on the list on the right. I did it in my desktop and it worked as you say, but now in my laptop there is not that option, it's missing from the list... 

HP Recommended

@lilazolota wrote:

There is no 1220c option on the list on the right. I did it in my desktop and it worked as you say, but now in my laptop there is not that option, it's missing from the list... 

Did you click on the "Windows Update" box in the lower right of the add printer dialog?

dj 1220c w10.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

you are right, at first I was clicking it but nothing was happening, it was stuck. After several restarts it worked and I found the option I wanted! Thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.