Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3050 all-in-one J610a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

1. I have been trying to install the printer software for the Deskjet 3050 all-in-one J610a on a Dell E6530 computer with Microsoft Windows 7 professional.

2. But whatever tried it keeps failing with the message 'Install Failed - the software for your printer could not be installed'.

3. When you click on the 'Details button it shows
"Installation error. The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance".

4. You are then offered to search for a solution. It puts then a document 'HP installation failure - MSI 1601' on your desktop.
a. It then opens the Windows services to check if the Windows installer service is running? Yes it is on my system.
If I reinstall same errors as shown in 2. and 3.

5. I tried to replace the Windows installer, by running the commands 'msiexec.exe /uninstall' and 'msiexec.exe /regserver' (also tried this in safe mode) both for the 32 bits and 64 bits versions. Then restarting . But getting the same errors as shown in 2. and 3.

6. I tried both the CD installer and the latest downloaded installer DJ3050_J610_1315-1.exe from the Hewlett-Packard website. But getting the same errors as shown in 2. and 3.

7. I tried to run Microsoft Fix-it version 50809 which was another option to try. If you run it it says 'creating a restore point, please wait...' . After some waiting it says 'This Microsoft Fix-it failed to process'.

I tried another newer Microsoft Fix-it version (downloaded from the Internet):
MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.Run.exe
Running that to check installation problems showed a list of programs to check for installation problems.
But it did not show the HP installation file DJ3050_J610_1315-1.exe or similar in the list so it could
not be fixed.
If you choose 'not listed' then it shows 'we did not detect any problems and therefore no fixes were applied'.

8. If I run the files D3050x64.msi and also D3050x32.msi from the CD (using the Microsoft Windows installer) it also fails with the same error as shown in 2. and 3.

9. If I install 'HPSupportSolutionsFramework-12.3.11.29.exe' it installs, but does not do anything. It is probably not running and no instructions about how to get it running.
Update: It is actually a service running in Microsoft Windows services as 'HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService'.
The executable is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService.exe
That service is running, but does not appear to get activated.
It adds a background controller service that is set to automatically
run. Delaying the start of this service is possible through the service
manager. A scheduled task is added to Windows Task Scheduler in order
to launch the program at various scheduled times (the schedule varies
depending on the version). The software is designed to connect to the
Internet and adds a Windows Firewall exception in order to do so
without being interfered with.
Scheduled Task
hpsupportsolutionsframeworkservice.exe is scheduled as a task with the class '{98FA553D-D703-4E16-9884-F328AC21770F}' (runs on registration).
Service
hpsupportsolutionsframeworkservice.exe runs as a service named 'HP Support Solutions Framework Service' (HPSupportSolutionsFrameworkService) "This service allows for the detection of HP products and enables identification of support solutions for detected products.".
Startup File (User Run Once)
hpdia.exe is loaded once in the current user (HKCU) registry as a startup file name 'HP Download and Install Assistant' which loads as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\HPDIA.exe" /Restart.
Windows Firewall Allowed Program
hpdevicedetection3.exe is added as a firewall exception for 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Support Solutions\Modules\HpDeviceDetection3.exe'
Checking 'Windows Task Manager' e.g. by running from the command line
schtasks.exe
or to start the GUI run
start taskschd.msc
did not show anything about this service as far as I can tell.

10. Using some troubleshooting I managed earlier to install *only the printer*. But the *scanner* can thus not be installed.

See:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/443342-windows-7-pc-keeps-trying-to-install-wsd-print-device?...

1. -Run
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /s /t2
(running this from the cmd.exe command line)
2. -I could not find the 3050 in the list of the default manufacturers (e.g. 'HP')
3. -Click button 'Add...'
4. -Click button 'Next'
5. -Automatically enabled is e.g. 'x64'
6. -Click button 'Next'
7. -Click button 'Have Disk...'
8. -Fill in the drive letter of the Hewlett-Packard printer CD which
should be in your computer
E.g.
😧
9. -That will install the 3050 J610 printer driver and show it in the list
10. -Click the Microsoft Windows 'Start' button
11. -Select from list 'Devices and printers'
12. -If the 3050 J610 printer is shown right click on it and select
'troubleshoot', otherwise right click, 'Add Printer', make sure
your printer is switched on, then select the 3050 printer and let
it install.
13. -Run the first fix to get the printer driver
14. -Run the second fix to make the printer the default printer
15. -Successfully run on Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

11. E.g. If I run to troubelshoot the program 'HP print and scan doctor program' (=HPPSdr.exe) it says that the 'HP445411 (HP Deskjet 3050 J610 series - network 192.168.1.49) - installed). It says that the full product is not installed, then starts downloading. But the executable it downloads is the same DJ3050_610_1315-1.exe as downloaded from the HP web site. So getting the same errors as shown in 2. and 3.

12. Note: I basically never have any installation problems on this computer. Only this Hewlett-Packard 3050 J610a printer software fails consistently to install.

13. -Tried to run pnutil.exe

Because I managed to install the *printer* driver (but thus not the *scanner* driver) using the command
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /s /t2
I was looking for a similar solution method for the scanner.
So tried e.g.
RUNDLL32.EXE SETUPAPI.DLL,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 HPScanMiniDrv_DJ3050_J610.INF
but that failed with the error 'installation failed'.
Also tried to navigate in Windows Explorer to this file HPScanMiniDrv_DJ3050_J610.INF
then right clicking on the filename and choosing 'install' from the list but that showed a dialog box
'Install Error - The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation'.
I found then this link:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/60f4b917-93c9-400a-b91a-15375a8793bf/i...
which suggested to use the program Microsoft 'pnputil.exe'
After inserting the original HP installation CD which was in 😧
and pointing it to the file 'HPScanMiniDrv_DJ3050_J610.INF'
which is default present on that HP CD,
and running this command:
--- cut here: begin --------------------------------------------------
d:\ Mon 5/30/16 16:32:33>pnputil
Microsoft PnP Utility
Usage:
------
pnputil.exe [-f | -i] [ -? | -a | -d | -e ] <INF name>
Examples:
pnputil.exe -a a:\usbcam\USBCAM.INF -> Add package specified by USBCAM.INF
pnputil.exe -a c:\drivers\*.inf -> Add all packages in c:\drivers\
pnputil.exe -i -a a:\usbcam\USBCAM.INF -> Add and install driver package
pnputil.exe -e -> Enumerate all 3rd party packages
pnputil.exe -d oem0.inf -> Delete package oem0.inf
pnputil.exe -f -d oem0.inf -> Force delete package oem0.inf
pnputil.exe -? -> This usage screen

So I did run this command:

d:\ Mon 5/30/16 16:33:39> pnputil -i -a HPScanMiniDrv_DJ3050_J610.INF
Microsoft PnP Utility
Processing inf : HPScanMiniDrv_DJ3050_J610.INF
Successfully installed the driver on a device on the system.
Driver package added successfully.
Published name : oem115.inf
Total attempted: 1
Number successfully imported: 1
--- cut here: end ----------------------------------------------------

Checking on the disk showed the file 'oem115.inf' was indeed installed in the 'c:\windows\inf\' directory.

During earlier troubleshooting I already copied the file
HPScanMiniDrv_DJ3050_J610.dll
located on the HP installation CD
to the folder
c:\windows\system32\
and also to
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\

I then did run the steps here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/working-with-scanner-camera-installation-wizard#1TC=windo...
Before using the wizard, connect your scanner or camera and turn it on.
If Windows recognizes the device and installs the appropriate driver, you are all set. There is no need to run the wizard.
To start the Scanner and Camera Installation wizard
Open the Scanners and Cameras wizard by clicking the
Start button, then clicking Control Panel.
In the search box, type scanners and cameras, and then click Scanners and Cameras.
Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation,
type the password or provide confirmation.
I did not find that on Microsoft Windows 7, but clicked on button 'Add a device'.
That shows the currently present scanners on the system.
If present, double click on it.
Microsoft Windows will if found possible install the driver for you.

But it failed to find a scanner or install the scanner driver.
So not resolved.

14. -Note: If successful installation: you should e.g. be able to see the
scanner device in 'Start' > 'Control panel' > 'System' > 'Imaging
devices'

15. -I then tried to run Windows fax and scanner program
(you will have to install it first)
wfs.exe
But it reported no scanner found.

16. -I then connected the printer using an USB cable to the computer.
It started the driver installation and reported a successful installation
and scanning was successful.
I guess somewhere in the previous steps the drivers were in the right
place.
But it only works with my USB cable attached.
If I try to remove the USB cable it says
'Unable to find scanner. No scanner or other TWAIN source found on the system'

17. I also tried to run the HP Printer Install Wizard
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03521864
but that did not work either.
It detected now:

'HP Deskjet 3050 J 610 series' - network
But for the network one it reported an issue:
'The wizard reported a problem with the driver software for the selected printer.

'HP Deskjet 3050 J 610 series' - USB
For this USB version it reported:
'Basic functionality drivers appear to be installed for the selected printer. We recommend installing the full HP software to get the full functionality for the printer'

If you click 'next' it downloads again the usual HP software which you
can not install. With same errors as in step 2. and 3. here.
So no solution.

18. -Current workarounds:

a. -Optionally try a few of the above steps which might put e.g. the printer and scanner driver in the correct place.
Then connect a USB cable, Microsoft Windows should detect the printer / scanner
and install the drivers.

But printing should work via wireless.

Disadvantage:

To scan you will have to connect using a USB cable and scanning is thus not working via wireless.

b. -Buy or use Hamrick VueScan. It installs its own scanner drivers.
But it is not a free program. But it works with wireless scanning also.

Question: If you have better solutions or workarounds, e.g. to activate
wireless scanning also, please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @knudvaneeden,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you were getting an error trying to install the printer software, but you finally managed to install the printer by a USB connection. When using the printer as a wireless connection you are not able to scan. Thanks for providing all the detailed steps that you have already tried. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Make sure you are turning off the Antivirus Software and the Real Time Scanning if your Antivirus Software has this feature. It can affect the full software from being installed.

Then follow this document to see if you can fully install the drivers: HP Single-Function and Multi-Function Printers - Fatal Error 'Fatal Error 1601' (MSI Error 1601) Dis...

Try scanning from Paint to see if you have the same issue.

Run the Print and Scan Doctor and let me know any error codes or if everything was checked off. You can attach a screen shot.

The scanning ports might not be open on the router causing this issue. You can contact the router company to check and open these ports 9220/9500/427 on the router.

You can click the "Thumbs Up" to thank me for my efforts! If this helps you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution". Keep me posted. Good Luck! 

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @knudvaneeden,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you were getting an error trying to install the printer software, but you finally managed to install the printer by a USB connection. When using the printer as a wireless connection you are not able to scan. Thanks for providing all the detailed steps that you have already tried. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Make sure you are turning off the Antivirus Software and the Real Time Scanning if your Antivirus Software has this feature. It can affect the full software from being installed.

Then follow this document to see if you can fully install the drivers: HP Single-Function and Multi-Function Printers - Fatal Error 'Fatal Error 1601' (MSI Error 1601) Dis...

Try scanning from Paint to see if you have the same issue.

Run the Print and Scan Doctor and let me know any error codes or if everything was checked off. You can attach a screen shot.

The scanning ports might not be open on the router causing this issue. You can contact the router company to check and open these ports 9220/9500/427 on the router.

You can click the "Thumbs Up" to thank me for my efforts! If this helps you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution". Keep me posted. Good Luck! 

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

FYI:

Finally resolved this issue, it was a Windows Update causing it:

'The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, of if the Windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'

Root cause: Some Windows Update is causing this issue.

Solution:

1. Make sure this 2 Windows updates KB3139923 and KB3072630 are installed.

2. You can check this from the cmd.exe command line running this commands:

wmic qfe get hotfixid | find /i "KB3139923"

If it is installed it should return:

KB3139923

Download that Windows Update here KB3139923:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51558

then run the installer.

and also

wmic qfe get hotfixid | find /i "KB3072630"

If it is installed it should return:

KB3072630

Download that Windows Update here KB3072630:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=47955
then run the installer.

3. Result: Success: After this 2 updates are both installed the
Microsoft Windows Installer did not show the error anymore.

Running e.g. the HP printer/scanner/driver installer

DJ3050_J610_1315-1.exe

was successful and the printer/scanner you should now be able to install.

4. Note: In my case I had only 1 of this 2 Window updates installed
(=KB3139923).

When I installed the 2nd Windows Update (=KB3072630) it
resolved the issue.

5. Note: Thus many possible causes checked, but always same error and
without result:

/ trying switch off Anti-virus software (renamed the directory in safe mode)

/ trying installing in Windows Safe Mode

/  trying to installing in Windows Clean boot

/ trying renew Windows installer msiexec.exe

/ trying re-registering msiexec.exe

/ trying to run Microsoft Fix-it

/ trying to run HP diagnostic software

/ trying to run HP printer and scanner installer

/ checking if Windows Installer service runs (run 'net start msiserver')

/ checking the registry settings for Windows Installer / ...).

/ Finally considering running a Windows repair using Microsoft Windows CD / DVD,
but that is a last resort as it requires e.g. reinstallation of drivers, so not
performed that repair.

It was thus finally resolved installing that 2 Windows updates.

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing the fix @knudvaneeden.

I am sure it will help other users that run into this same situation.

Have a wonderful day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.