Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3250
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My last router went nuts and refused to keep a connection wirelessly. I have replaced it. But now I cannot get the printer to connect if there is a password. Here's what I have done..

Connected via open network. Worked.

Changed back to using a password. Printer says password is incorrect. I have both tried automatic network settings and manual. I have tried every single security protocol, both with the HP setup oftware and WPS. Same thing, every time. WPS Just says error. :manfrustrated:

I can't leave my network open and I really need it connected to the network, as I sometimes need to print here while I am away. Plus... well thats one of the features I bought the bloody thing for and it should work. it used to work just fine. Any ideas?? I'm willing to do hardware resets or whatever it takes!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Wolvyrine

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums page. I came across your post and would like to help. 🙂

I read that you have an HP Deskjet 3520 e-All-in-One Printer and it doesn't connect wirelessly if there is a password. I appreciate the steps ou have performed so far and have certainly done a great job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Are you trying to print with HP Wireless DirectHP wireless direct provides a direct wireless connection to your HP printer without joining a local network or connecting to the Internet. When you activate HP wireless direct on your printer, you can securely print documents or photos from most Wi-Fi-capable computers and mobile devices.
  • Or are you trying to connect the printer to the available wifi network at your place?

If you're trying to use the HP wireless direct then you may refer to this link for detailed information.

If you're trying to connect the printer over a wireless/wifi network at your place this please refer to this link.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. I'm always here to assist you. Take care! 

HP Recommended

Kazi,

Appreciate the reply, but those are all the basic steps to connect the printer, which I have already been well above and beyond. I can do a direct connect print but that isn't what I need, nor does that make it a properly functioning printer.

The printer refuses to accept any password as correct. If the network is open, it connects to the network and prints fine. If there is a password it will not accpe tthat the password is correct, will not work via WPS or PIN.

HP Recommended

@Wolvyrine

You're welcome and thanks for replying. 🙂

I read that the printer connects if there is no password and if there is a password, it will not accept it. 

I did some research and located the user guide (Page# 33) for the printer. It contains detailed steps to connect the printer via WPS and PIN setup. 

I hope this helps. Let me know what happens. Thanks for your patience. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

So, I really do appreciate the help. But I am not sure where I am missing to make myself understood. In the last line of my last post I stated that the printer will not connect if there is a password, even via WPS or pin.

I have looked through tons and tons of forum posts, HP documentation, help files, trouble shooters and googled til I can google no more. I have done all standard instructions and reset everything I can reset.

If there is a password on the wireless connection, the printer refuses to accept the password, refuses to connect via WPS, refuses to connect via PIN. The printer is, for some unknown reason, not able to see the password as correct or accept the connection via any other method. Need help!

HP Recommended

@Wolvyrine

Thank you for your reply and you're most welcome. 🙂 You have done a commendable job and thank you for your patience. 

I read that if there is a password on the wireless connection, the printer refuses to accept the password, refuses to connect via WPS, refuses to connect via PIN. 

Not to worry though as I have a few suggestions. Let us restore the network settings in the printer and try to connect the printer again to the wifi network. 

1. Press the Wireless button to access the Wireless Settings menu.

2. Select Restore to Default.

3. Confirm selection to restore defaults.

Now please try to connect with a password on the wifi network. If the issue persists then let us connect the printer via USB and then later have ti converted to wireless connection by following the below steps:

• Open Devices and Printer and right click on your printer and remove it from there.
  • From the computer’s start menu select All Programs or Programs, and then select HP.
  • Select HP Deskjet 3520 series.
  • Select Printer Setup and Software.
  • Select Convert a USB connected printer to wireless. Follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Once the printer is connected to the network, it will prompt you to disconnect the USB cable.

If the above steps fail to fix the issue then please perform a reset on the printer and then try to connect again. I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please let me know the results. Thanks again. 🙂

HP Recommended

Tried both, exact same results. I just don't understand how it can see the network, connect fine without a password but then tells me the password is wrong when I have one. AND the WPS and PIN methods kack with a password in place. This just doesn't make sense!!

HP Recommended

@Wolvyrine

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm positive that you have been doing it the right way. But could we check if the password is being typed accurately? Because sometimes before you even start typing the password on the printer, a space comes up automatically. So before the password, there is a space which is usually not noticeable. So you have to delete the space and type the password.

If everything is in place and if issue persists then I recommend you to perform a printer firmware update via this link: http://hp.care/2nbMA44.

Do let me know. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

We really need to skip all these "basics" and find something a bit more on the tech side. A space before or after the password makes no sense if the PIN and WPS also do not work. As well as the fact, as I have stated, that I have both manually and automatically set the network settings. HP Update comes with the software suite, but I instaled the stand alone one you linked, just in case. Still no updates. Is there an HP tech out there somewhere that could chime in? This is not a settings or a setup issue, this is a hardware/firmware type of issue. If you can find a basic instruction on the HP site or in a manual I have already done it and three steps beyond. I do appreciate the time your giving to help but this is well beyond a simple lookup. I have been a IT tech for over 20 years, I know how to look up issues and troubleshoot. What I need is someone with more specific product knowledge please.

HP Recommended

@Wolvyrine

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Click here and refer the document to find the correct WPA password, If this does not work.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.