Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet Advantage 3636
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday (June 4, 2020) I tried to replace a black ink cartridge on my Deskjet Advantage 3636 and no matter what I do (take out, put back in, etc.) I get an "incompatible" message.   The color cartridge, though just about empty, is showing as OK.   The black cartridge is a genuine HP one, brand new, exactly the number required for the machine.

My hunch is that it has something to do with the firmware upgrade that (unfortunately) happened automatically, dated just a few days ago (June 1, 2020), so, I was pursuing the path of trying to downgrade to firmware to the previous version but am not having any luck. Apparently it is not a common thing that HP wants to see happen (i.e., downgrade the firmware). Well, it may be something other than the firmware but, at this point, I can't think of a more plausible reason.

Question: is anybody else experiencing cartridge issues after the June 1 firmware upgrade?

Thanks!

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick 

Thanks, Bob.

This is helpful - and likely the only actual solution: 

Don't fight it any longer -  use what you can.

I appreciate your time, of course.  Smiling.

@mxakerb0 

The general consensus appears to be:

• The situation isn't going to get better.
  • Use the printer as it allows or consider replacing it.

Lots of attention, at least.  Not everything receives this much time and effort.  Smiling.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi Mike,

Please let us know what exact cartridge number you are using with the printer.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi! ..We have a 664 and An XL664 cartridge and tried both with equal results.   By the way, I noticed that the SmartHP app shows the printer as a 3630 rather than a 3636.  Don’t know if this is same as before the update or not or what..just an observation.  And thanks for the quick reply!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

From my experience, I doubt this is due to the firmware update, the printer was always shown as HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3630 Series, the software always refers to the printer series and not to its model.

Please open HP Smart from your computer.

If the printer is not listed, click the plus sign and add it.

Double-click the printer and select Supplies Status.

Please share with me a screenshot of this entire screen.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Yes..Did not seem that the firmware had anything to do with the “3630 series” designation.

I did check supplies tab in Smart - Here’s a wrinkle. I am in Brazil, the printer was bought here and takes 664 cartridges but opening Smart from my Iphone, it shows that the right cartridge is 63, which, apparently, is not available here in Brazil..

HP Recommended

OK...here is the screen capture you asked for...Thanks!Image 001.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information!

It does seem unexpected to not show any supported cartridges information, I will try testing with a similar model by updating its firmware, it should generally list the supported cartridges on the button as below sample for this kind of printer:

ShlomiL_0-1591465380572.png

Please try removing the black cartridge and close the door with the Tri-Color cartridge only installed, ay you see any supporting information then? can you successfully print with the tri-color cartridge only?

Next, please remove the Tri-Color cartridge and install the black cartridge only, can you see any difference then?

HP Recommended

Hi...

Yes, with just the color cartridge, it went through the motions of orinting (remember, the color is empty but shows up as installed on the starus page; we don’t have a spare color cartridge but you could see/hear the carriage doing its thing and paper being spit out, like it should be), so color alone seems to work fine, but with only the black installed, nothing changed from before: cartridge showing as incompatible and when trying to print, message informing that there is an error. Tried this with both regular and xl cartridge.

HP Recommended

Thanks,

What I meant, is that it is strange a bit that no Supported Cartridges are listed on HP Smart.

Could you please remove both cartridges from the printer and close the door, then open HP Smart and double-click the printer and attach a screenshot of the Supply Status screen, does it show any Supported Cartridges section, as shown on below screenshot?

ShlomiL_0-1591475308049.png

HP Recommended

Hi There!

Here"s the latest in this saga!

Both cartridges taken out.Image 002.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.