Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Deskjet F4280 driver error

Deskjet F4280
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After a period of non use I recently wanted to scan some documents on my All-in-One printer. It gave an error massage and Windows tried to reinstall the printer driver. This did fail. I searched the internet and found that I had to reinstall the printer software. Because the DVD-reader of my notebook does not function at this moment, I searched the HP site for this software. Found it and reinstalled it. The installation of the printer drivers ended in an unrecovareble error. The error log did not give any clues about a solution.

Also tried the solutions given by the HP Print and Scan Docter. Same result. At last I tried a few solutions at the Help pages for this printer at the HP site. This didnot bring me any furter.

I incuded an image of (part? of) the error log.

Logbestand na installatiefout HPDeskjet 4200series driver.JPGPart of error log after unrecoverable error at driver installation

15 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
4880 255 375
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LuukDb52

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support, to get the printer's issue fixed.

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Did you try to perform a complete root level driver re-installation?

If not, please follow the steps given below:

In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Once done, follow this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-deskjet-f4200-all-in-one-printer-serie... and install the full feature driver software. :)

Keep me posted, 

If the information I’ve provided was helpful,  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,  

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers! 

Good Luck. ;)

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
LuukDb52 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Barachiel,

I followed your instructions. They did not give a solution. Instead I got two more error messages. One at installation of the driver, the other when I reconnected my printer to my computer. See attachements.

Both error messages are in Dutch, as I have the Dutch version of Windows 7. I hope this is not a problem.

Hope this will help you furter at solving my problem.

Sincerely,

Luuk

Foutmelding bij installatie printer drivers.JPGError message after printer drivers installationFoutmelding na aansluiten printer.JPGError message after reconnecting printer to notebook

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6053 412 424
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LuukDb52

It looks like you were interacting with Barachiel, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

Thanks for keeping us posted

I suggest you create a New User Account and then uninstall the printer driver and download the Full Feature Software again

1. To open User Accounts, click the Start button The Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.
  2. Click Manage another accountPicture of security shield icon If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Click Create a new account.
  4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Keep us posted how it goes

Thank you 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and this will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
LuukDb52 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello CrazyToad,

Thanks for trying to help me. Unfortenattely this did not bring the solution.

With the newly created user account I got almost the same error messages as before. See below.

Foutmelding bij installatie printer drivers onder nieuw gebruikers account.JPGError message after printer drivers installation with new user accountFoutmelding bij installatie via nieuw account.JPGError message after printer drivers installation with new user accountUnrecoverable error at installation - new user account.JPGUnrecoverable error at installation - new user accountLogbestand na installatiefout HPDeskjet 4200series driver - via nieuw gebruiker account.JPGPart of error log after unrecoverable error at driver installation with new user account

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
4880 255 375
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LuukDb52

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back ;)

It looks like you were interacting with @KrazyToad, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

I'm sending out a Private message with the required informations,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage 

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,

And we don't want it in the wrong hands).

Keep me posted,

Good Luck. :)

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
LuukDb524 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel,

I did not find a private message with a solution for my problem, only a warning to be alert for fraudulent messages.

Did anything go wrong?

Regards,

Luuk

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1385
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LuukDb52

Thanks for replying.

As @Barachiel is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I have read your posts comprehensively and appreciate all your handwork and patience.

Having said that, I will not repeat any steps that you have attempted already. However, let us try to install the basic inbuilt printer drivers from the Windows operating system.

NOTE: Do not plug the printer's USB cable to the computer initially. You may first begin the installation and during the course of the installation it will prompt to connect the printer. And that is when the printer needs to be connected via USB to the computer and continue with the installation. 

Please refer to "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP document to install the inbuilt printer drivers. 

Once the printer drivers are installed, you may try to print. 
NOTE: The inbuilt printer drivers will service the printing purpose only. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know how it goes.

All the best! :)

0 Kudos
LuukDb524 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

Thanks for helping me with this issue (for an unkown reason my account name has been changed from LuukDb52 to LuukDb524, I am the same person).

I followed your instructions, but did not find a build-in printer driver for my printer in Windows Update. After refreshing the list through the Windows Update button al lot of times, I got a long list of HP printers, but my printer type was not in it.

If you want it, I can post the list, but it is quite long (17 pages in Word).

How do I proceed further?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Regards,

Luuk

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1385
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@LuukDb524

You're welcome. :)

I suggest you to check for any updates for Win7 (if available for Microsoft). 

Secondly, you may once again uninstall the printer drivers from the root level:

NOTE: Some steps may have been missed out earlier.

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know the outcome. All the best! :)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation