Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
deskjet ink advantage 2545
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I posted a similar question once before and then magically the problem stopped. But now it is back and seems to have gotten worse.  Before when it was feeding paper through, it would stop when it ran out of paper.  Not so, now.  It continually cycles even though there is no paper and the out of paper light is flashing.  

When the problem occurs, which is almost constantly, the Power light is blinking, the network light is blinking like it does when it is not connected to my network, and the little display screen shows various numbers like it would if I were printing multiple copies.  

This printer has been a problem of one kind or another for almost two months, this is just the latest.  I have deleted the printer out of Devices and Printers and reinstalled it, same problem.  I've run Scan Doctor until I could run it in my sleep, no help.

When I posted this problem before one of the responses told me how to completely uninstall the printer and reinstall it.  I tried that this time but it would not let me uninstall the driver because it said it was continually in use.  The name of the printer showed in one place as connected to LPT1.  I thought about deleting the LPT1 port but then I thought I might make matters worse.  I tried all the suggestions I could find including starting the laptop in Diagnostic mode and it still would not let me uninstall the driver because the Spooler was not running.  I feel like my cat in my bathroom every morning when he chases his tail.  Wish I could get as much joy out of this as he gets out of that morning ritual.

At a different point in this futile effort, during a reinstall try, it installed the 2540 printer which is what I wanted, but it also installed something named Scanner 2540 Printer DO NOT DELETE.  It was a web services printer.  I don't know what a web services printer is but if it requires that my print documents be sent to the internet and back, I do not want that.  Definitely do NOT.  I get charged for every bit of access that I make to the internet and can't afford to pay for every document I print.  

The curious thing is that when I directed a print document to the 2540 printer, it said the printer was in an error state and would not print.  When I directed a document to the web services printer, it would print.  However, it would not allow me to scan documents which is what I need to do right now.  I'm using Corel 2019 and have used it with no problems with this printer 3 or 4 months ago but not since this problem started.  Corel says it does not find any scanners.

Along about the same time that it installed the web services printer, it seemed to wipe out my Network and/or changed the name to Scanner 2540 Printer DO NOT DELETE.  And, of course, I had no internet access.  I had a hell of a time, getting rid of that and getting my regular network back.  

Yesterday, I downloaded all the drivers from the HP website for this printer and deleted the printer again and tried to start from scratch.  And I'm getting nowhere as it is still having the same problem.  I'm not overly techie so this is making me crazy and I've spent days of my life that I will never get back trying to get this thing to work.  And while I'm not very techie, I am a very good shot and using this printer for target practice is looking better all the time.  Unfortunately, I can't afford to do that.

Is there anyone out there who can help me with this ongoing problem?  Are there driver updates, firmware updates, anything that will help with this problem?  

And as a last note, as I've been writing this post, the printer sounds like it is feeding pages through only now there is no pause between the pages as you would expect if pages were being fed through.  Now it is a continual sound and to make it more interesting, the printer will not turn off when I hit the power button.  It just continues running.

Thank you for any help you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

I wanted to thank you for the time you spent trying to help me solve my problem.  It is appreciated.  I have a Good News/Bad News update that is something that neither of us knew.  And then I think we can close this.

The Bad News:  I contacted HP Support as per your suggestion.  Absolutely no help.  Although I am a US resident, I bought the printer while I'm here in Costa Rica helping my sister who is very ill.  To get help I had to go to the Costa Rican help site which is all in Spanish, which I don't speak.  When I went back to the US website they said they no longer support that printer anyway even though I bought it just a year ago.  So that is the bad news.

The Good News is that I solved the problem with the printer without their help.  I'm passing this info on to you in case you have a similar problem in the future.  I know when I worked in a job similar to yours, I kept a file of unusual resolutions for difficult problems.  It made me a hero with my clients as they always came to me for help with unusual problems.  Anyway, about a month ago, I was helping a friend who was having problems with his computer running VERY slowly.  I found and fixed that problem for him but as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.  In fixing his problem, I hooked his computer into my wireless network.  His computer showed up in Devices and Printers as a multimedia device, see screen print below.  But it is grayed out because he took it home and it's no longer in my network.  

Eraldo's computer shows up as a multimedia device but is grayed out.Eraldo's computer shows up as a multimedia device but is grayed out.

I hadn't deleted it in case he still had problems and needed to bring it back to me. Then yesterday, I decided after this length of time it was fixed and I clicked on it and said Remove Device.  Then just on a hunch, I turned the printer back on and went through a Full Feature Install and voila, it started working. 

Then I did a bit more research and found that routers and/or hotspot routers, which I have to use, have limits as to the number of devices installed.  I had no idea that was the case.  I would have thought it would have been limited to the devices that were in actual active use, but evidently not.  This was one of those happy accidents because I would never have thought of this.  

So this is a valuable piece of information that may help both of us in the future.  I'm going to close this request.

Have a great day.  And again thanks for your time and efforts.

Carole

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@CaroleCR

I see that you have tried all the possible steps that could resolve the issue.

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer and update the firmware for the printer.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-deskjet-ink-advantage-2540-all-in-one-printer-series/5285095... 

Restart the printer.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Welcome to the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner.  I was tired of banging my head against a brick wall over this  and I had to get away from it for a while.  But now I'm back with determination and need to get this resolved.

Before you sent your answer, I tried installing the printer using HP Smart app and it didn't seem to do anything.  The printer never showed up in Devices and Printers.  Then I tried a couple of other things that didn't seem to do anything either.  Then I found a screen that said to do updates through the printer and I tried that.  Now all this time, the printer was turned on but never appeared in Devices and Printers.  It's like it doesn't connect to the network.  From that last screen doing updates through the printer, it didn't install the HP2545 printer that I expected but it did install something called Scan Only -HPDD5ECE (HP Deskjet 2540 series)-DO NOT DELETE.  It says it's a web services printer.  First off, what is a web services printer and will it still work if I am not connected to the internet?  It does show in the Devices and Printers but is grayed out.  See screen print below.  But if I have to go through the internet to print, I don't want that either.  PLUS, with this web services printer, Corel will not find a scanner and I really need it to be able to do that.  It had no problem finding the printer using Twain Acquire before all these printer problems started.

Then after I got your answer. I tried your suggestions and I still have the same thing.  When I turn the printer on, it starts feeding paper through.  And the little screen that shows the number of copies you are making displays a number ranging all the way up to 9.  When it reaches that number it stops feeding the paper for a few seconds and then another number appears and it feeds that many pages through and then repeats until I pull the electric plug because canceling it doesn't work and hitting the off switch doesn't work.  And when runs out of paper, it continues feeding as if it still has paper, even though, sometimes, the light is showing that it is out of paper.  My printer is possessed.  LOL.  And if I put a document of some kind on the scan bed, it copies that document onto all the pages it is feeding through.  I need to get this fixed before I even think about trying to fix the scanner issue.  So let's start with this problem first.  

Are there some registry changes that I could make that would completely eliminate this printer?  Then maybe you could tell me how to install it from scratch.  I don't have a problem changing the registry, if I have EXACT instructions on what to change.

Thanks so much for your help.

HP2545 is grayed out in Devices and PrintersHP2545 is grayed out in Devices and Printers

HP Recommended

@CaroleCR

Appreciate all your time and efforts.

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-deskjet-ink-advantage-2540-all-in-one-... to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

I wrote you a long explanation yesterday, but this morning it seems to have disappeared so I will try and repeat what I wrote yesterday.  I hope it doesn't get lost again, this was tedious. My comments are in RED below.  I said that just in case the red doesn't show up.

Here are the suggestions you made and my comments in Red about what I did with regards to them.  I have questions before I am able to follow your instructions.  I have attached screen prints.

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

I went to Programs and Features but didn't find the printer listed.  I provided a couple of screen prints.  If there are other things I should delete, please let me know.  I printed a pic of all HP Items (I have an HP laptop so I think some/most/all are related to the laptop, or maybe not) and I printed a pic showing that the printer was not listed under the name Scan Only as it shows in Devices and Printers

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall  Could not do this, didn't exist.

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device'    I removed this Scan Only printer from Devices and Printers

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom     You did not specifically say, so I clicked on Remove Driver Only.  Should I go back and remove the Driver and the Driver Package?  See screen print to see the driver I removed.

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-deskjet-ink-advantage-2540-all-in-one-... to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers.   

Okay, here is where I need some help.  In all my time spent working on this, I have downloaded this same Full Feature Software and Drivers no less than five (5) times, all the same Release Date and the Same version.  I have a very slow internet and it will take about four (4) hours to download this, if I have to do it again.  So I ran one that I already had on my computer

If any of these steps need to be repeated or I need to do the whole thing over with different steps, I have no problem with that.  I just appreciate the help.  I have attached a number of files so you can see my progress through these instructions.

20190913a Pic showing HP programs in Programs and Features

20190913a Pic showing HP programs in Programs and Features20190913a Pic showing HP programs in Programs and Features

20190913b Pic showing there is nothing named Scan Only

20190913b Pic showing there is nothing named Scan Only20190913b Pic showing there is nothing named Scan Only

20190913c Pic showing Full Feature Driver File Version and Size

20190913c Pic showing Full Feature Driver File Version and Size20190913c Pic showing Full Feature Driver File Version and Size

20190913c Pic showing Full Feature Driver File Version and Size

20190913d Pic showing the driver that I removed20190913d Pic showing the driver that I removed

20190913e Pic showing items installed by Full Feature Driver Software

20190913e Pic showing items installed by Full Feature Driver Software20190913e Pic showing items installed by Full Feature Driver Software

20190913f Pic showing items as they are being installed by Full Feature Driver Software

20190913f Pic showing items as they are being installed by Full Feature Driver Software20190913f Pic showing items as they are being installed by Full Feature Driver Software

20190913g Pic showing Full Feature Driver Software as it finished the installation

20190913g Pic showing Full Feature Driver Software as it finished the installation20190913g Pic showing Full Feature Driver Software as it finished the installation

20190913h Pic showing Devices and Printers after install but printer is not there

20190913h Pic showing Devices and Printers after install but printer is not there20190913h Pic showing Devices and Printers after install but printer is not there

20190913i Pic showing after a printui that the driver is not there

20190913i Pic showing after a printui that the driver is not there20190913i Pic showing after a printui that the driver is not there

HP Recommended

@CaroleCR

Appreciate all your efforts!

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for further assistance. 

Click here: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

I wanted to thank you for the time you spent trying to help me solve my problem.  It is appreciated.  I have a Good News/Bad News update that is something that neither of us knew.  And then I think we can close this.

The Bad News:  I contacted HP Support as per your suggestion.  Absolutely no help.  Although I am a US resident, I bought the printer while I'm here in Costa Rica helping my sister who is very ill.  To get help I had to go to the Costa Rican help site which is all in Spanish, which I don't speak.  When I went back to the US website they said they no longer support that printer anyway even though I bought it just a year ago.  So that is the bad news.

The Good News is that I solved the problem with the printer without their help.  I'm passing this info on to you in case you have a similar problem in the future.  I know when I worked in a job similar to yours, I kept a file of unusual resolutions for difficult problems.  It made me a hero with my clients as they always came to me for help with unusual problems.  Anyway, about a month ago, I was helping a friend who was having problems with his computer running VERY slowly.  I found and fixed that problem for him but as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.  In fixing his problem, I hooked his computer into my wireless network.  His computer showed up in Devices and Printers as a multimedia device, see screen print below.  But it is grayed out because he took it home and it's no longer in my network.  

Eraldo's computer shows up as a multimedia device but is grayed out.Eraldo's computer shows up as a multimedia device but is grayed out.

I hadn't deleted it in case he still had problems and needed to bring it back to me. Then yesterday, I decided after this length of time it was fixed and I clicked on it and said Remove Device.  Then just on a hunch, I turned the printer back on and went through a Full Feature Install and voila, it started working. 

Then I did a bit more research and found that routers and/or hotspot routers, which I have to use, have limits as to the number of devices installed.  I had no idea that was the case.  I would have thought it would have been limited to the devices that were in actual active use, but evidently not.  This was one of those happy accidents because I would never have thought of this.  

So this is a valuable piece of information that may help both of us in the future.  I'm going to close this request.

Have a great day.  And again thanks for your time and efforts.

Carole

HP Recommended

@CaroleCR

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.