Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7310 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Intially, a windows 10 desktop on my network could no longer communicate with my ethernet-connected Officejet 7310 all-in-one.  The desktop recognized the 7310 as a printer, but not as an all-in-one.  I attempted to reinstall the software using the prescribed protocols, with no success. I decided to ignore the problem.  The desktop could still use the 7310 as a printer, just not as an all-in-one. Plus, my two laptops could still use the all-in-one functions. 

Today, for no apparent reason, the all-in-one functionality stopped working on my windows 10 laptops.  When I attempted to scan a document, I got a message that said: "device installation on complete. Please attach usb cable or reinstall software."  I am no longer able to reinstall the all-in-one software.  Just as with my desktop, my laptops can use the printer function of the all-in-one, but cannot use the HP Solutions Center functions.

I have used the recommended protocols - uninstalling the 7310, running windows disk cleanup, running ccleaner registery cleaner, shutting down all the devices on the network except the 7310 and one laptop pc.  Nothing works, despite several attempts on various pcs.  I no longer can install the HP Solutions Center software on any of my windows 10, 64bit, PCs - either hardwired or wireless.  The 7310 is essentially a 'brick', as it no longer functions as an all-in-one.

What can I do to resolve this problem?? Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @fatz2fly,

I don't think you have missed anything, but I would recommend a more comprehensive uninstall at this point. I know that at first glance this will appear very convoluted, but I have broken out into step by step instructions to make it easy to follow 🙂 

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
    • Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  2. Delete the printer from device and printers, and the driver from the server properties. See instructions below before proceeding to step 3. 
  3. Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop >AIO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141.exe
    • After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.
    • Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
    • Open folder Util
    • Open folder CCC
    • If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have anon-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe
  4. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  5. Download and run CCleaner  - How to Use CCleaner.

Installing software on the computer with a registry key out of place would be like trying to paint a wall with a hole in it, you have to patch the hole first. Fix the registry, then install the software. Registry cleaners can be useful tools to solve certain kinds of problems in the registry, like those created when a program doesn't uninstall correctly, or a malware infection isn't cleaned up properly.

This suggestion does not come from an HP document, it is of my own opinion. My preference is CCleaner, I use it on my computers. If you have a registry cleaner already or one you prefer, you can use that.

6. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK

*Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer

1. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  2. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  3. Restart the computer
  4. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
  5. The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance. Thanks! 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

REMOVE DRIVER FROM PRINTER SERVER PROPERTIES

1. In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8, 8.1, and 10 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

Now please return to step 3 from the instructions above.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HI @fatz2fly,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your installation issue.

I understand that you are trying to install an HP Officejet 7310 All-in-One Printer on your Windows 10 computer but the installation is alway incomplete. I would like to help.

I would try downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor. If the utility discovers software issues it might find and help install the needed software.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  The 7310 was successfully installed on two desktop computers and two laptop computers.  I recently changed ISPs and in the process, installed new routers on my network at the same time.  About a week after this change, the problems began.   

One desktop and one laptop lost connectivity with the 7310 through HP Solutions Center.  Upon opening the HP Solutions Center, I got the message that the device installation was not complete, even though it previously functioned normally.  After several repair attempts, I uninstalled all the software and attempted to reinstall the device.   I've made several attempts to install using the HP Support Assistant and the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  I've also tried installing direct from the download file.  After each unsuccessful installation attempt, I've uninstalled using both HP and Revo.  I've also scrubbed the registries before reinstalling. Each reinstall fails at same the point  - after selecting a wired network device from the screen that offers the choice between a network device and a usb device.

Interestingly, the second desktop and the second laptop on the network continue to successfully connect to the 7310 through HP Solutions Center.  However, all four pcs need to be able to connect to the 7310.

I think the problem may have something to do with the network IP address. Each time I begin a new installation, the installer identifies an installed 7300 device at 192.168.1.101.  However, no device is connected at that adderss.  Next, I click retry and the installer eventually locates the uninstalled 7300 series device at 192.168.1.10 - the correct address.  I highlight that device and click 'Okay' and it begins the installation process.  The process continues until I get to the screen that offers a choice to select a usb device or a wired network device.  After selecting the wired network device option, the installer continues for about ten seconds and then stops with the error message  box that says  "The specified device does not exist as an installed service."  When I click okay, it takes me back to the screen that offers the choice between a usb device and a wired network device.  I have not been able to get past that screen. 

As you might imagine, this is a very frustrating problem.  If you can identify a step that I missed, I will be happy to give it another go.

HP Recommended

Hey @fatz2fly,

I don't think you have missed anything, but I would recommend a more comprehensive uninstall at this point. I know that at first glance this will appear very convoluted, but I have broken out into step by step instructions to make it easy to follow 🙂 

1. Hold down the Windows Logo key on the keyboard and the 'R' to open the run box, type %temp%
    • Delete all files and folders from the temp folder. Choose skip if any pop ups appear saying any of the files could not be deleted
  2. Delete the printer from device and printers, and the driver from the server properties. See instructions below before proceeding to step 3. 
  3. Download the software and choose to save as, save to desktop >AIO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_141.exe
    • After the software downloads and extracts, open the temp folder again, use the instructions from step 1.
    • Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
    • Open folder Util
    • Open folder CCC
    • If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have anon-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe
  4. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer
  5. Download and run CCleaner  - How to Use CCleaner.

Installing software on the computer with a registry key out of place would be like trying to paint a wall with a hole in it, you have to patch the hole first. Fix the registry, then install the software. Registry cleaners can be useful tools to solve certain kinds of problems in the registry, like those created when a program doesn't uninstall correctly, or a malware infection isn't cleaned up properly.

This suggestion does not come from an HP document, it is of my own opinion. My preference is CCleaner, I use it on my computers. If you have a registry cleaner already or one you prefer, you can use that.

6. Follow these steps to reset the registry settings and options for Windows Installer.
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.
    • In the Open box, type msiexec /regserver, and then click OK

*Note: there is a space between the c and the /

If you have any difficulty with this step, please use this link to perform it another way. Restarting Windows Installer

1. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tool < How to Delete files using Disk Cleanup
  2. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  3. Restart the computer
  4. Download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
  5. The HP Printer Install Wizard for Window was created to help Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software solution for their HP Printer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance. Thanks! 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

REMOVE DRIVER FROM PRINTER SERVER PROPERTIES

1. In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8, 8.1, and 10 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

Now please return to step 3 from the instructions above.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your assistance.  Solutions Center is now up and running again.  I used HP Print & Scan Doctor for the installation, which went smoothly.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution !!! 

Worked just fine.  Glad to hear you use CCleaner.

I've used it for years.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.