Post new question
Question
Does HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 work with Windows Vista 64-bit system?
Replies (22)

Top Student
Message 11 of 23 (690 Views)

Re: Does HP OfficeJet Pro 6962 work with Windows Vista 64-bit system?

@Chimney_83,

I was able to install a driver by pretending the OfficeJet 6962 was a DeskJet 990c as you recommended. It seems to be functioning properly with all features. I think I would have to examine the manual very carefully to find any discrepency in operation. I have renamed the "DeskJet 990c" entry in the Printers list to OfficeJet 6962 to match the actual printer.

I am satisfied with this result and am willing to endorse this solution.

Thank you for your assistance!

HP Support Agent
Message 12 of 23 (673 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Deskjet 990c is a generic driver that would help you print fine. However, you will not be able to scan using this driver.

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 13 of 23 (620 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have determined that you are correct. Although I can print using this driver, I am unable to scan. This renders half the printer useless.

Is there a solution to this mess? Or am I stuck with an "all-in-one" printer that only prints?

HP Support Agent
Message 14 of 23 (609 Views)

Hi @dtierce,

Thanks for the update, I appreciate the time taken to troubleshoot. I understand you are now able to print using the generic drivers, however, there is an issue with the scan. Don't worry, we have a workaround which should help to fix this issue,

Please follow the steps listed in the support document - Click here 

You can try to scan using the HP solution centre, Paint, or from the EWS page. 

I hope this answers your question, let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 15 of 23 (607 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Jeet_singh,

Apparently you did not read the previous posts. I cannot find a driver for officejet 6962 under Vista 64-bit. Although Vista 32-bit is listed for this driver, the 64-bit version is conspicuously absent. I cannot get any of the other drivers to install. The pages you linked to were useless since they did not list any downloads or services that will work with this printer/OS combination. Under "HP Scan Software" it simply advises me to search which I have done a multitude of times already.

I was advised to use the "generic" driver for deskjet 960c which does install successfully and allows me to print. However I cannot scan anything with this driver. This renders half of my officejet 6962 all-in-one printer useless. When I bought this printer, it claimed to work with Vista, but this appears at this time to be false  advertising.

Is there a way around this problem with some combination of software? Are there any plans to fill this hole in the support of Vista? Have I wasted my money on this printer? How do we resolve this problem?

I am eagerly awaiting your response with increasing frustration.

HP Support Agent
Message 16 of 23 (597 Views)

Hi @dtierce,

Thanks for replying, I appreciate your time and efforts, 

As I understand you are unable to scan from the computer. This is because you don't have a full feature software installed for your printer. The only option would be to scan from 3rd party applications such as MSPaint. 

You could also try to scan using the Control panel of the printer.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
Message 17 of 23 (438 Views)

Re: Does HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 work with Windows Vista 64-bit system?

I have followed instruction for adding HP990c and did so without problem.  The printer now shows under My Printers as the Default Printer.

Attempts to print however have NOT been successful.  The Test Print page is listed in the printer que, but the page will not print.  Other test pages from other files have same result...ie, these pages also show up in the printers que, but will not print.

Can you advise of likely solution?

Thanks

HP Support Agent
Message 18 of 23 (425 Views)

Hi @RRtommy,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Please try these steps. Stupendous diagnosis and spectacular troubleshooting of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy

First uninstall the printer completely. 

steps: 

• In Windows control panel look for the printer from ADD or remove programs.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.

Then please select the 990c by performing these steps:

• Please go to control panel and click on devices and printers.
  • Click Add a printer and then click Add a local printer.
  • Click the Use an existing port check box.
  • In the Use an existing port drop-down list, select LPT1: (Printer Port) and then click Next.
  • Under Manufacturer on the Install the printer driver dialog box, select HP.
  • Under Printers, select the appropriate alternate print driver for the HP product and then click Next.
  • In the Printer name text box, type the HP product name and then click Next. The print driver starts to install.
  • Then select the driver 990c from printer preferences using the above link for windows.
  • Then make it the default printer and try to print. It should do the trick for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 19 of 23 (413 Views)

Thanks for trying to help.

I followed your diections to delete all printers and then re-added the 990c.  My HP 6968 receives print order in queue, but still does not print.

I'm having to send document to cloud and use my iphone to then send document to printer.  Not ideal.

HP Support Agent
Message 20 of 23 (406 Views)

Hi @RRtommy,

I reviewed the post.  remarkable troubleshooting and brilliant deductions. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy Please try these steps and follow the steps to install the windows built in driver from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Then to print from your iPhone check these links out.

HP Printers - Using the HP ePrint App to Print from a Mobile Device:   http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-6960-All-in-One-Printer-series/8289579/model/11...

HP Printers - Printing from Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod touch: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-6960-All-in-One-Printer-series/8289579/model/11...

HP Printers - Printing with Apple AirPrint :  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-6960-All-in-One-Printer-series/8289579/model/11... 

If it still odes not work and the printer is recognized by the iPhone, uninstall the iPhone printing app and reinstall it back and try a \gain.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation