Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 1018
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot find driver for HP1018. In "Devices and printers" the printer is listed as "unspecified"

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks - and sorry, I should have written "laserjet 1018". Apparently the driver is included in Windows 10, but this does not seem to be the case, since my hp laptop does not install automatically.

HP Recommended

Hi

Understoood.  This you already tried.

Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution

Install the HP Printer Driver and Software provided within your operating system.

Learn more

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

5.2.1.0029.2 MBMay 22, 2019Download

I think the catch 22 is without a connection to the Printer, WiFi , ethernet or USB Windows does not find new hardware and install the necessary driver.  How to connect and install a driver on a "non-existant printer"

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

Step 1: Set Windows Update to automatically download driver software

Connect the printer to the computer with a USB cable.
  1. Make sure your computer is turned on and connected to the Internet.
  2. Turn on the printer.
  3. Connect a USB cable to the USB port on the rear of the printer

, and then to the computer.
  4. If a Found new hardware window displays, follow any prompts to install the driver, and then try to print.
    • If you can use your printer, your driver installed, and you do not need to continue with the steps in this document. Continue to the frequently asked questions in this document for more information.
    • If you cannot use your printer, continue to the next step.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help - I came to step 3 ("USB connection (Windows 10, 8)") and to point 8:

Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

But then on the list of printer names, my printer does not show up. The closest is "HP Deskjet 2020 series", which I tried installing. The installation succeeded, but it cannot print a test page on the 1018-printer ...

HP Recommended

Hi

I may be wrong, if it is a 1018 printer, could it be this?

Not the one I linked to?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

🙂

I tried this already, and it opens an installation wizard, but stops when it comes to item 2 "Connect" and asks for the printer to be connected via an USB cable. I tried all USB-ports (all USB 3.0, but compatible with 2.0), but none of them finds the printer and the the only option in the program is "cancel". The printer works fine from an old laptop with Windows 8.

HP Recommended

I really don't understand.

On my desktop I have the icon for a 1010 printer, because I have installed it.

I don't even have one, but the driver etc installs.

1018 printer.png

So to install the software you do not need the hardware.

I am now going to remove it all and clean up.

HP Recommended

Apparently there is no problem with Windows 8, but here I get this window when running the installer from the link above with no other options that cancelling the installation again.

HP1010.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.