Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having difficulties installing my HP officjet printer. I've literally tried everything, this question I am posting to the forum is the final resort before I consider selling it and getting me another that is compatible with windows 10. Everytime I follow the instructions on installation the driver ends up being unavailable. I've tried installing the printer via the software from this website and also using the disk both wirelessly and via usb cable and have not had any success. I've also contacted microsoft and did the live client where they take control of your computer and try to fix everything on their own even that didn't work. The customer service rep from microsoft told me that I had to contact HP. The printer worked temporarily when I did a system restore with keeping the files but after about a week it ended up having the same problems as before. What do you guys suggest? I'm at my wits end with this printer and I am trying to find a solution before going another route. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow the steps below to resolve such an error:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow the steps below to resolve such an error:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello iceman,

Schlomil - one of the EXPERT moderators -  certainly knows of what he speaks.  However, if you haven't messed with your Registry yet or if you are not a tech geek, I have some simpler suggestions.

I am not an HP employee.

HP Recommended

LORD HAVE MERCY IT WORKED!!!!!! NO MORE PRINTER PROBLEMS!!! THANK YOU MAAAN!!!!

HP Recommended

BTW sorry for the late reply, I've had a hectic work schedule this past month and haven't really had time to use my computer like I use to.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!!  I have spent 2 solid days on this.  I was wondering if I needed to buy a new printer.  You have the only solution to this whole thing.  I am grateful for your help.:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Thanks !

Only this solution helped.

I was in trouble from last one year.

Was not able to find any solution till I saw this page today.

I was not able to find the root problem.

To find what error is in your device

follow the route to understand the problem.

Setings  :

Devices :

Printers & Scanners  :

I was getting error in device :

"Driver is Unavailable".

driver is unavailable HP M1005 in WIndows 10.jpg

HP M1005 is now Working in windows 10.

then I searched on google :

windows 10 M1005 driver unavailable

This search lead me to this page.

Now you can see, there is no objection of any kind :

HP M1005 Printer working on Win 10.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.