Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet 100 Color MFP M175a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I downloaded the basic driver for my LaserJet 100 color MFP 175a printer and tried to install on my laptop running Windows 10. The installer started and then I was asked to connect the usb cable from printer to laptop but the installation stops at 99% and then error message saying fatal error. 

I tried uninstall and reinstall many times but to no avail.

Please help !

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@sifuconman123, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Check for any pending windows update on the PC. Reboot the PC once done.

Right-click the Start menu and select Run, then paste the following and press OK:

printui.exe /s

Open the Drivers tab and select ANY shown HP printer, then click Remove and select to Remove driver and driver package.

Note: If any driver fails to remove restart your printer and then repeat the steps.

Try installing the driver again.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar 0307

Thanks for your quick response !

I installed the  HP Print and Scan Doctor and run it. It cannot find my printer (as expected as I cannot install the printer driver !)

I tried to install the driver again but this is what happened :

1. I downloaded the basic printer driver ( CLJ_MFP_M175_USB_sw_win_basic )  for my printer which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 10.

2. I started the installation process and after the "Prepare" stage is completed I was asked to connect my printer which I did.

3. The "connect" stage started but stopped at 99% and an error message appeared saying the process is taking too long and is a fatal error.

4. So I am stuck at the "connect" stage and cannot proceed to the " install" stage.

I had tried many times and get the same results !

I am really frustrated and don't know what to do now ! Please advise what shall I do next.

For your information I have no problem using the printer when I connect the same printer to another laptop running Windows 7 I

Regards !

Wong

HP Recommended

@sifuconman123

Thank you for the detailed response. This seems like a conflict between Win 10 and the printer driver.

Create a new user account and try installing the printer driver to check if the issue persists.

Refer to this document to know how.

You may also try the steps mentioned in this document.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307

Thanks for your reply !

I had managed to install an old  Windows 7 driver onto my Windows 10 laptop by changing the compatibility setting of Windows 10. Now my printer can both print and scan without any problem.

Thanks again for your help !

Wong

HP Recommended

@sifuconman123

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We've had exactly the same problem. Printer has worked fine since 2011 with a Windows 7 PC. We've just upgraded to Windows 10 and the PC got to 99% install and then stopped.  We've found that if you press the spanner button on the printer, go to service, and then use the arrow keys to go get to restore to factory settings, this then lets you install the drivers on your PC. It's not a permanent fix though. You'll find your printer runs for a few days, and then your PC decides it's offline again, or says there's an error.  You just have to go through the restore to factory settings procedure again, then start to install the drivers, and as soon as you do this, the printer shows up as online and ready to print.  I've seen quite a few other people having this issue with the LaserJet 100 Color MFP 175a printer and Windows 10.

HP Recommended

This sounds the fix that I need.  Is  it easy to install a Windows 7 driver onto my Windows 10 PC. I'm not particularly 'techie'.

HP Recommended

Hi

Just follow the instruction below and you'll be able to install your old driver on Windows 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-non-compatible-printer-drivers-windows-10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.