Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi there long story short I bought the HP Officejet 6950 for my works computer they only install the driver for a 6960 and i cant change the driver due to work only supporting this model - 'SHOULD' the 6950 work with the 6960 driver as i cant send the unit back as the kids used it!? I say should as there seems to be an issue with the driver which i may have to get sorted through work as i dont have authority to do it myself?

Thanks

P

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You cannot use the 6960 software for a 6950 software.

You might be able to allow print only capabilities while using the 6960 drivers, but that's about all, scanning or faxing would require your printer-specific software to be installed.

Please clarify if you would like to use the printer with a USB or wirelessly, then I may provide you further details about how to add the printer, but once again I would remind that only print capabilities would be available in such configuration.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you..

I would be using a wired connection

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying.

Connect the printer to your computer using the USB cable.

From the Control Panel select Devices and Printers.

Click the Add Printer button.

Click Add a local printer.

Click "Select an Existing port" and select the USB port from the list (likely listed as USB001)

Follow the wizard till the model selection list, then select HP from the Manufacturers list.

Select the HP Officejet 6960 / Officejet Pro 6960, if you cannot locate any such select the HP Deskjet 6940 model from the list and complete the wizard.

Rename the printer as you would like during the wizard and be sure to select to set it as default, then try printing.

Please let me know if you experience any issues, be sure to include as much detailed information as possible as some steps may vary or be blocked due to your company restrictions.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.