Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 251dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this Officejet Pro 251dw when I had Windows7 and Windows8.  It works perfectly on both operating system.  I recently upgraded to new computers with Windows 10.  I made sure to download the latest printer driver from the HP site.  The driver works, but the Duplex setting keeps changing from "installed" to "not installed".  I can set it back to installed, it may last a day or it may last 2 weeks, but it keeps changing back to not installed.  It acts the same on both Windows 10 computers.

What can I do to prevent the Duplex setting from changing after I set it to installed???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think the problem is fixed!  It has been two weeks since following the 2nd recommendation (the first, Scan Doctor, didn't correct the problem).  Duplex is still installed and working.

Your instructions did not match my screens exactly, but they were close enough that I was able to complete the procedure without much difficulty.  There was one difference that I believe may have been the root cause of my problem.  In step 9 under "Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers", on the instructions you provided, you state "Look for HP Printer driver.  If you see it click on it and click "Remove" at the bottom."  When I got to that point, I saw 2 HP Printer drivers listed.  I removed them both.  I followed the remainder of your instructions and have had no problem since.

Thank you very much for you help!  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @solakian

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

Step 1 HP Print and Scan Doctor - 

Click on this link to download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers - 

1 In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2 Look for HP Printer software.

3 Right-click to uninstall.

4 In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5 In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6 Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7 Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8 Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9 Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10 Select Ok.

11 Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12 Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13 Restart the computer.

14 Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15 Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have run the Print and Scan Dr. previously without finding any issue.  However, I downloaded and ran again, this time it updated the driver.  I will wait a week to see if this corrects the problem.  If not, I'll follow your instructions, wait another week, and let you know the outcome.

FYI, I have 8 computers on my network one has Win98, one Win2k, 3 with Win7, and 3 with Win10.  This problem only happens on the Win10 units.  Because of the mix I print to an IP address on all machines.  Some of the software I use prevents me from upgrading the OS on some of the machines.

HP Recommended

It has been a week since running the HP P&S Dr.  I have checked every day, until today the duplex feature remained "installed".  Today, it's "not installed".  

I will try the 2nd "fix" you recommended and get back to you on the results.

HP Recommended

@solakian

Yes, try the suggested steps and let us know the outcome for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think the problem is fixed!  It has been two weeks since following the 2nd recommendation (the first, Scan Doctor, didn't correct the problem).  Duplex is still installed and working.

Your instructions did not match my screens exactly, but they were close enough that I was able to complete the procedure without much difficulty.  There was one difference that I believe may have been the root cause of my problem.  In step 9 under "Step 2 Re-install the printer drivers", on the instructions you provided, you state "Look for HP Printer driver.  If you see it click on it and click "Remove" at the bottom."  When I got to that point, I saw 2 HP Printer drivers listed.  I removed them both.  I followed the remainder of your instructions and have had no problem since.

Thank you very much for you help!  

HP Recommended

@solakian

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

UPDATE:  Everything worked well until I needed to replace an ink cartridge.  The HP #951 replacement didn't work.  The printer message said it was incompatible.  I ordered another $100+ cartridge set, but I got the same message.  I reinstalled the empty cartridge, it was accepted as compatible, but it was empty.  I downloaded new firmware and after multiple attempts and multiple restarts, I got it to install.  The symptom did not change.  Two new HP brand cartridges would not work.

I called HP support - WORTHLESS - they would not help because the "printer is out of support".  All they would do ( I spoke to two support techs) is explain what out of support means.

I'm stuck with $200 worth of ink that won't work in any current printer and a printer that HP intentionally obsoletes.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with HP.  

HP Recommended

@solakian

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.