Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5530 all in one
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Where in the manual do you find how to reset EWS?
I am not up to speed on this EWS I dont like what it has done to my computer, and I will be getting another printer asap after looking into this a bit more.
As i said my understanding of EWS is very limited, but after three very long days and nights reading as much as i can im a little more informed.

The only option i see this EWS has is that it locks my wireless network from anyone using it?
Thats ok but it has taken all my linked passwords out of my browers links.
Also paid for software that keeps web site links and password no longer work?
Are there any aother way to lock your wireless printer without using EWS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
@Aardvark1
Hi
Thanks for all you help, Im now off to do a reset and install my printer again and hope this time it will all work Ok.

Like I said thanks again for all your help, would have taken weeks to get to the bottom of it if I ever did Algol

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @leggoman

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that you have a bit of an issue which seems to stem from the printer's EWS. I would like to help. 

The EWS (Embedded Web Server) is built into your printer. It is not a separate piece of software. It is designed to work like a web page but is in fact, your printers firmware. Simply put, when you are at the EWS you are inside the printer. 

From the EWS, you can control your printer like you can from the front panel. It should have no impact on your computer. 

How the printer could remove all the linked passwords from your browers links or affect the third party software you mentioned is a mystery.  You would have to contact phone support to have that looked into. www.hp.com/contacthp/

At this point, I would like to double check what you mean by 'lock your wireless printer'. 

Do you mean you would like to enable the password on the printers wireless direct feature?

If so, take a look at the printers front panel. There are five icons along the top. Touch the middle one. 

This will access the Wireless Direct menu. Here you can enable security to the Wireless Direct network. 

The only other options for 'locking' the printer is to add a password to the EWS which I highly advise against.  It can only be done through the EWS.  Some printers you can lock the control panel. This is also a bad idea. 

You can reset the EWS, but this requires resetting the entire printer. If you would like I can send you the steps to do this via private message. just let me know. 

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @Aardvark1

Thank you so much for your reply, and for the information on EWS. 

That is a great help i now see why I was having so much trouble its ashame this information is not made clear on install, we are not all computer wiz kids, and this setting is so easy set when told you need to to protect your printer from access from outside of your network?

Any way after a good few days of reading and just blindly trying to reset printer, which i did but did not disable the EWS.

i found out that i set a passward which I was asked to do. my trouble started from this as my new set password was not set, and the old passwork did not work.

After reseting over and over again, uninstalling software, resetting wireless setting, i got to add new password for EWS, dont ask how as I dont understand why it let me change password.

That now means I have a printer that is now working but i am still trying to deal and understand this EWS, which I am findiing to be a real pain.

its not that i have no understanding of computers, i have been using them from the age of 17, im 58 now and use my computer every day, many years age teaching packages in many fields, Now just my own hobbies, comtrolling my camera, and my radeos (amature radio)  Any way

"It should have no impact on your computer.
How the printer could remove all the linked passwords from your browers links or affect the third party software you mentioned is a mystery. You would have to contact phone support to have that looked into. www.hp.com/contacthp/"

Well belive me it did and has. I have been using a programe to log my passwords from new log ins to sites, and loading user name and password when you visit them sites again, When EWS is active and my printer wireless access is locked, each time I go to a web sit that needs me to log in, ie, BT, BANKING, GAS, ELECTIC, and any other site every site that would auto load my password would not load, a blank user name and password was entered.

this is still happening but I can deal with that, I just have to load my programe and load web site from within the programe.

"At this point, I would like to double check what you mean by 'lock your wireless printer'."

stop access to my printer from internet access by others.

"The only other options for 'locking' the printer is to add a password to the EWS which I highly advise against. It can only be done through the EWS. Some printers you can lock the control panel. This is also a bad idea."

yes this is what I think I have done and cant get out of, 1 as i cant disable EWS. and get back to how it was before beeing set.

"You can reset the EWS, but this requires resetting the entire printer. If you would like I can send you the steps to do this via private message. just let me know."

YES PLEASE YES PLEASE

Thank you so much

Alan

HP Recommended
@Aardvark1
Hi
Thanks for all you help, Im now off to do a reset and install my printer again and hope this time it will all work Ok.

Like I said thanks again for all your help, would have taken weeks to get to the bottom of it if I ever did Algol
HP Recommended

@Aardvark1 wrote:

Hello @leggoman

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I understand that you have a bit of an issue which seems to stem from the printer's EWS. I would like to help. 

The EWS (Embedded Web Server) is built into your printer. It is not a separate piece of software. It is designed to work like a web page but is in fact, your printers firmware. Simply put, when you are at the EWS you are inside the printer. 

From the EWS, you can control your printer like you can from the front panel. It should have no impact on your computer. 

How the printer could remove all the linked passwords from your browers links or affect the third party software you mentioned is a mystery.  You would have to contact phone support to have that looked into. www.hp.com/contacthp/

At this point, I would like to double check what you mean by 'lock your wireless printer'. 

Do you mean you would like to enable the password on the printers wireless direct feature?

If so, take a look at the printers front panel. There are five icons along the top. Touch the middle one. 

This will access the Wireless Direct menu. Here you can enable security to the Wireless Direct network. 

The only other options for 'locking' the printer is to add a password to the EWS which I highly advise against.  It can only be done through the EWS.  Some printers you can lock the control panel. This is also a bad idea. 

You can reset the EWS, but this requires resetting the entire printer. If you would like I can send you the steps to do this via private message. just let me know. 

Yes, please.  I cannot access the EWS via a web browser since installing two color cartridges (HP Officejet Pro 8620).  All I get is:

"System Error",
An error has occurred.

Please send me instruction to reset my hp oj 8620 to factory settings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.