Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the same problem reported elsewhere on these forums, in that my Envy 4520 will only print in black and white. 

I've tried the hard reset and uninstalled, re-installed all drivers / software as described in other similar posts. Each time, the first print will be colour, but then every one after that will be Black & White until I unistall / re-install the drivers again. Also, whenever I do re-install, there are no options to use photo paper in the drop down list, and no colour / greyscale option in the printer properties.

Pretty stuck and fed up having wasted so much time trying to sort this out. Is it likely that my actual printer is faulty? I'm currently subscribing to Instant Ink, but not much point if my printer is dead.

Kind regards,

Dean

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@DirtyPixel

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your printer does not print in color.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Did you replace the ink cartridges?

Are you able to make a color photocopy?

If you're able to make a color photocopy, it means it is a driver related issue. If you're having the same issue while making a copy, it is hardware related and I would suggest you contact our phone support: www.hp.com/contacthp/

To resolve this issue, let's try these steps: 

Root uninstall and reinstall of printer drivers: 

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

If the issue still persists, you could try steps given below from the article: Click Here.

Step 1: Use genuine HP ink cartridges

Step 3: Replace any low or empty ink cartridges

Step 4: Clean the ink cartridges

Step 5: Identify the problem ink cartridge

Step 7: Replace the problem ink cartridge

Let me  know how this goes,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've not changed the ink cartridges, but I've not tried the colour photocopy as after discussions with work colleagues, I tried a print from my phone instead which was perfect. So yes, it's definitely the desktop drivers.

The problem with that is, I've now tried the process you list 5 times and every time, I get the first print in colour but every one afterwards is in black and white. In fact, following this latest unistall / re-install , even the first print is now in black and white.

Also, why do I no longer see options to use Photo Paper when printing? There's clearly something fundamentally wrong with the desktiop drivers. Just as well the phone app works or I'd be in trouble. I need the printer working as it should for my business, but your solution doesn't work, so it might be worth researching another one instead of copy and pasting the same one for all of us with this issue. I repeat, it doesn't work.

DP

HP Recommended

@DirtyPixel

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Since you were able to print fine using a phone, this clearly states your printer works fine. It's the driver's issue on desktop PC. We could try installing printer drivers Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try creating a new user account and then install printer drivers in the new user account. 

Keep me posted,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I went through the uninstall process yet again, then connected the printer with a USB cable and it prints in colour no problem, but there are only very limited settings available and no borerless printing options amongst others.

I've spent 2 nights trying to fix this issue, but I'm done with it now. I shouldn't have to create a new user account to get wireless printing working as it should. A look through your foums show I'm not alone with this issue, yet nobody seems to have had a satisfactory reply to fix the issue.

I suggest you try a little harder to find a fix, but I won't be waiting for it - I'll be buying a new printer this weekend and as much as I've enjoyed Instant Ink, I've lost faith in HP printers.

Good luck to anyone stumbling on this thread in the future though.

HP Recommended

@DirtyPixel

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any.  You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).  

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

HP Recommended

Have just managed to solve this after umpteen unsuccessful attempts following advice on here.

Unsuccessful ideas tried:

1. Cleaning print heads (stages 1 and 2) - showing colour cartridge working

2. Printer Properties > Device Settings > Automatic Config > Off > Update Now > OK (Still no Colour option in Print Quality dialogue box)

3. Connecting USB cable and installing USB connection (B&W and Colour options now showing in Print Quality dialogue box, Colour showing in Print dialogue, but still printing in B&W)

My answer was to uninstall the HP driver software (which involved disconnecting USB cable when instructed), reboot PC, connect USB cable, let Windows 10 detect the device and download drivers. This tells me that the fault is with the HP software.

Meanwhile I've wasted 14 sheets of paper and card, much black ink and lots of time. Not happy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.