09-20-2019 08:31 AM
I am assisting my Brother who is unable to print color from Windows 10 (Word, PowerPoint, etc). I have followed the recommended support suggestions; remove printer, uninstall related drivers/software, restart and reinstall. However this has not remedied the issue. I have also tested on my printer (the same model) which shows the same issue so the problem is on his PC and not the printer hardware or ink cartridges. I have also used the HP Print/Scan Doctor which outputted the test page as black & white only.
The main problem I see is in the 'Printer Preferences' either accessed through software like Word or directly in Devices/Printers. Under the 'Paper/Quality' tab I see the usual Tray Selection and Quality Settings options. However the glaring omission is the Color selection usually located at the bottom of this tab, there is no option to select Black & White or Color.
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-22-2019 10:25 AM
@Louise-James, Welcome to HP Support Community!
Update the printer firmware
Download available firmware updates from the HP website
With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.
For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.
I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below:
1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
2) Select your HP Printer
3) Select Uninstall
4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”
😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
10) Select Ok
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
12) Close Devices and Printers.
Now, try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:
• Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.
• When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.
• Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.
Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
09-28-2019 02:07 PM
Thanks for the solution. I followed the steps but still ended up with the same B&W results. However I have now fixed the issue by using a number of your suggestions.
1. Removed Printer (Printers/Devices)
2. Removed Drivers Package (as suggested)
3. Uninstalled all HP related programs
5. Used HP Easy Start to perform the software/driver installation