Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so I'm having an issue that many people have. I've searched and tried 3 separate official solutions from the forums, but nothing worked.

My issue: on win10 64bit with an HP envy 4520 I cannot print in color. one such topic

I have uninstalled all the drivers (including the 'deep' steps involving "printui /s /t2", clearing the HP folder, uninstallers) 3 times now.

I have tried:

• using just the win10 "find my device"
  • the driver-only (like 50mb)
  • and the EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe (150mb).

starting driverless each time.

It prints in color from the device itself. if I go to scan/photocopy and press the Color button.

No 'advanced' tab to set grayscale or color.

A7gtbrb

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

update with more info:

did a Print/scan doctor test, says everything is up-to-date and fine. but it's still not printing color and no option to. 

W9z4Asj

HP Recommended

@Lastname,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you are having issue while printing from your HP Envy printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score.  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes before the issue started?

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

As you have mentioned in your post that you are able to print from the printer, this definitely looks like a software related issue. 

Let's ensure if you have given any print, or if there is any print job in the queue, first go ahead and cancel it, restart the computer to ensure there is no print in the queue, 

Now let's do a root level uninstall and reinstall and check if that helps. If the issue persists, I would suggest you uninstall the printer drivers and then create a new user account.

Once you have created a new user account, restart the computer and then login to the new user account and then try to reinstall the printer software.

I suggest you uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Now restart the computer and check if you can print.

If the issue persists, as suggested uninstall the printer and then create a new user account.

Try to create a new local user and then try to install the printer. Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: Click here       

Now, login to the new account and then try to install the printer and check. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!

Additional info

• I'm connecting wireless (pretty sure I lost the usb)
  • Nothing has changed recently. Had this printer for maybe a year, it has always been like this. I kinda just dealt with it, until recently.
  • I'm on Windows 10 Home, 1809, 64bit, admin user.
  • Windows Defender A/V, but it doesn't show that it prevented anything.

Would the USB be required for it to install properly? It gets detected just fine via wireless

I have tried all of those steps previously, but did them again on a new user account. The only thing I can think of left is to try a hard reset (unplug the printer, ink, etc). But it doesn't seem to be a printer issue, just an HP driver not behaving with win10.

Still no Color options anywhereStill no Color options anywhere

HP Recommended

@Lastname,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, this looks like an issue with the print driver settings on your PC. Try the steps below to try and fix the same:

1. Go to Control Panel – Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click on Envy 4520 and select “Printing Preferences”.
  3. Navigate to print quality / layout tab and make sure that the color printing option is selected.
  4. Save the settings and check for issue resolution.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry if I sound rude but, I posted images and a gif showing that those exact buttons do not exist. Maybe I'm just being blind though?

However, I do have a temporary solution I'm not too fond of, but it works: HP Connected.

I can send an email to my printer and it'll print it in color (probably in High Quality, it was slow, not finding any options for full printer control).

It adds a couple extra steps per print, but I rarely print so it's fine, for now. And not sure exactly what formats are supported for attachments.

Don't think this should be marked as solved yet as the main issue still exists. The drivers are misbehaving, but a roundabout way proves color printing is possible.

HP Recommended

@Lastname,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated. 

I'm glad to hear you found the printer partially working however, you are still having issues printing in colour from your PC.

This looks like a Operating system issue, I would suggest you go ahead and follow the steps from the previous post to create a new user account and then try to install the printer software.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sorry for the late reply. Got busy.

I tried doing that (and did previously aswell) still no color options 😞

unfortunately, I'm just going to give up for now. I don't print that often, and mostly it's in black. Sending my printer an email once in a while isn't too much of a hassle.

Thanks for your time. If I ever get it solved I'll post back.

HP Recommended

@Lastname,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated,

As I see you have exhausted all possible steps and nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

In this scenario, I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.