Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using an HP Envy 5540 for about a year.  It has worked reliably until last week, when it "forgot" about the automatic duplexing unit.  Going to the printer setup, it claims that the autoduplexer is "not installed".  I have gone through these forums extensively, to no avail.  I have tried removing and reinstalling the software, after which the OS (Windows 10) recognizes the existence of the duplex unit, but a few hours later, that option no longer exists.

I have made *no* changes to the software, other than reinstalling the driver after this problem began.  Any other changes are the result of automatic updates by Microsoft.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@LuxCal

Double-check this setting / adjustment:

Duplex feature installed?  (Model Dependent)

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click Printer > Printer Properties > tab Device Settings >

Under Installable Options > Automatic Duplexing Unit > Select / Verify Installed > OK

:Arrow_Right: In general, the "installed" setting should "stick".

Comments (not saying that "you are doing this wrong")

Although it does not sound like it in this case, it is possible for Windows Updates (or even HPSA) to change the printer setup out from under you in which case the "installed" duplex may revert to "not installed".  There is no "hard and fast rule" about this; just something to know...

In general, things tend to work more "as expected" when both the Full Feature Software and the Firmware  is kept updated.

• In some cases, it may be necessary to remove > reboot > and then reinstall the printer software. 
  • Once installed, Firmware version "sticks" and does not have to be reinstalled.

Duplex, in general, is dependent on Media type selection, Paper Size, and "Source". 

For example,

• Duplex is not supported with Media type "photo paper".
  • Plain paper of supported sizes are supported for the ADF - other sizes, Media (types of paper) are NOT supported in the ADF.
  • Selecting the Source (Tray) as opposed to leaving "Automatic" can resolve some issues.
  • Printing Preferences, if the "default" shortcut is changed, may affect whether duplex is selected / available.

"Other" issues / situations might influence how the printer responds.

For example, make sure the printer is able to perform at its best:

Printer Prints Blank Page or Does Not Print Black, Color Ink

and

Slow Printing (Windows)

NOTE:  This document includes the general "Reset Printer" how-to which is useful for resolving some types of weirdness that may not have responded to other "fixes".

If / When necessary as a workaround, open the Printer Properties and set the Duplexing unit to "Installed" > OK

References and places to look for more help:

How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing)

Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

HP Printer Assistant Software Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

User Guide >

Load Media > Page 10

Duplexing > Page 25

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Up until a week or two ago, the "duplex feature" was listed as "installed".

For about the last week or so, it has been listed as "not installed", and also grayed out so that I cannot change it.

This morning, I reinstalled the printer driver, which I downloaded (today) from HP.  At that time, the duplexer was listed as "installed".  Two hours later, it was again listed as "not installed", again grayed out and unchangeable.

I can make this happen more quickly.  By going to Settings -> Devices -> Printers & scanners -> HP ENVY 5540 series (Network) and clicking on the "Manage" button, then on "Printer properties", and selecting "Device Settings", I see the following under "Installable Options":

Automatic Duplexing Unit: Not Installed (gray; can't modify)

Photo Tray; Not installed (also incorrect; it *is* installed, and has paper in it)

Automatic Configuration: Off

If I click on the word "Off" by "Automatic Configuration", I am presented with a pop-up window which allows me to select "Update now".  Doing so, the "Automatic Duplexing Unit" is switched to "Installed".  It is still grayed out, however, so I can again not select it. 

When I try to print something, however, the print dialog gives me the option to "Print on Both Sides Manually".  Cancelling out of this, and going back to the printer setup dialog in Settings (detailed above), I see that the Automatic Duplexing Unit is again set to "Not Installed", and still grayed out.

This all took place over a total of about three minutes, and is repeatable.

HP Recommended

@LuxCal

Reading through what you wrote (and making the grand assumption that I am not missing anything), it sounds like you have indeed done your homework on this.

Perhaps, and I do not have any specific information to support this, the duplexer or a related sensor / component is failing.  If that is the case, nothing you do with the software / settings will have any lasting impact on the outcome.

If I find anything to add to your analysis or if I find a suitable solution, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.  In fact, duplex printing works fine on my old Windows 7 PC and from my iPhone and iPad, but not from my Windows 10 laptop

I think we can safely say it's nothing to do with the duplexer or any hardware component

HP Recommended

I've since found this:

Follow the instructions for removing the HP drivers from your computer device settings, device manager and software apps that relate to HP so you have no printer listed anywhere at all.

Don't download any drivers from the HP site.

Then go to settings, devices, and click +Add a printer or scanner button. Windows will find and install its own driver and you will be back with color and auto duplex printing. To scan, select scan on the printer itself and use the windows scan/fax app.

Worked for me, tho currently not able to print from Acrobat despite re-installing

HP Recommended

For the record, this exact same problem is happening about every two months or so.  It's often enough that this is really, really annoying, but not so often that I can reliably document exactly how it's happening, or even be sure that I am correctly identifying the cause of the problem.

The printer is connected to my home network via wifi.  Every other computer is connected via wired ethernet, going through the same router as the printer.  I try to print from my computer (windows 10), and am told that I can print duplex only manually.  I have also lost the ability to print in color; everything comes out grayscale.  My wife's computer (also Windows 10) can print duplex in color.  My iPad can print duplex, in color.  My (linux) laptop can print duplex, in color.  It's just my windows 10 desktop that somehow has lost this ability.

I go to Settings (Start menu, Settings icon), and select "Devices", then "Printers & scanners", and select the HP Envy printer.  I have followed every piece of advice on this that I can find, both in this thread and others.  "Sometimes", I can get something to work, but not reliably.  That is, a different solution seems to work each time.  My best guess here is that (again) "sometimes", I am able to correctly remove everything from the computer related to the printer, and actually do a clean install.  However, I have not yet found explicit directions for doing this, so it's still pretty hit-and-miss. 

So...can someone point me to complete, reproducible instructions for *REMOVING* all HP software from my computer?  Then, I can try a clean install again and see whether that works, because nothing else here seems to help.

HP Recommended

It worked like a charm, my problem is resolved.  Thank you so much.  I had tried to get help from HP but my warranty expired (ane even though I purchased an additional 2 year warranty from Walmart, HP considered it a 'third party and requested I pay $20 to fix the problem'.  But thanks to you my problem is resolved and I now can print automatically both sides.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.