Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Photo 7155
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have HP Envy Photo 7155 connected USB to my Dell desktop PC running current W10 1903 64bit.   W10 Programs and Features in Control Panel shows software HP 44.4.2678.1977 installed 10/19/2019 (actually this was installed by HP Support person using remote support on 10/19).  That software level matches what is on HP's web site now - 44.4.2678 exe.  So good.

When I use Devices and Printers to display the 7155 printer driver it shows a Microsoft generic from 2006.   When I display the driver in Device Manager for my printer, it shows 44.1.2402.1741.  I think that maybe Windows Update is undoing the driver from what should be installed (as I said, HP Support installed the new printer software on 10/19)  to something else (I installed Windows Update patch KB4522471 (KB4519573) )

and  then rebooted this morning).  When PC boots, I now get a popup that says "scan to computer is unavailable".  

What is going on here?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@cwr64, Welcome to HP Support Community!

This could be an issue with the installed print driver or the Windows OS. Let us try to isolate the issue-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

You can also try to delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Now, download and install the full-featured software from here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downloaded/installed the Doctor and it said it was OK for both print and then scan.

Firmware -  s/n was grayed out - indicating no firmware update needed.

As to re-installing the printer and driver - I think I recall (from sometime back) that the USB cable from printer to PC needed to be disconnected sometime during the USB software/driver install but your instructions do not mention that.  Not needed?

Please answer..

HP Recommended

@cwr64 Actually it does, this part "Now, download and install the full-featured software from here" is for downloading the printer driver and software, as per the last tech's post, that said, once done, please follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

enable scan to computer windows 10

1. Search Windows for your printer model name, and click the printer name in the list of results. HP Printer Assistant opens. 
  2. Click Scanner Actions, and then click Manage Scan to Computer. 
  3. Click Enable to activate the scan to computer option.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Huh?  I already said that HP Print and Scan Doctor said that print and scan are OK.

So I have the driver issues that I documented in my initial post -

1 - the different driver levels for the printer - Microsoft generic  driver versus  HP web site  versus older displayed HP driver level 

and

2- now, does the printer USB need to be disconnected at some point in re-installing the full HP printer software package?

HP Recommended

@cwr64

Thanks for replying!

Remove the USB cable and perform the uninstallation of the print drivers on your PC. Once you download the latest drivers, connect the USB cable when prompted.

Once the printer is configured, check the driver.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So the scenario should be this?

1. unplug USB cable from printer

2. go to "Devices and printers",  right-click both the 7100/USB and the 7100 PCL3 Network printers and click "Remove device" on each of the 2 printers?

3. Then go to Control Panel  | "Device Manager", | Printers and click to "uninstall device" BOTH entries that are there for "HP Envy Photo 7100 series PCL-3 ?

4.   Then go to  Control Panel  | "Device Manager", |  Universal serial Bus controllers and click to "Uninstall Device" for the 6th entry  in the list which is "HP Envy Photo 7100 series(REST) ?

5.  Then go to Control Panel  | "Device Manager", |  Universal serial Bus Devices and click to "Uninstall Device" for "Envy Photo 7100 Series"

6. Uninstall the HP software

Start..then uninstall these 3 softwares:

HP Envy Photo 7100 Series

HP Envy Photo 7100 Series-HP scan

HP Update

Note that Control Panel | Programs and Features shows software:

HP Envy Photo 7100 Series Basic Device Software 10/3/2019 44.4.2678.1977

HP Envy 7100 series Help  11/9/2017 44.0.0

Should the above 2 softwares be uninstalled via Control Panel?

7.  Reboot

8.  Install the HP full function software for the 7155, plugging in the printer USB cable when directed to by the software install?

Is that what I need to do?

HP Recommended

@cwr64

Yes, that is exactly the procedure you need to follow. Once the steps are completed, let me know how it goes.

Thank you!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I may not actually do this for awhile.  We don't use printer very much and it is printing OK at the moment.  Seems like every time I mess with drivers or printer issues things do not go well.  Twice I have had to have HP Support deal with problems with this printer, and then Windows Update jumps in and installs an outdated driver for it more than one time.  And the printer went out of warranty a couple of weeks ago.  And now HP wants to mandate that I use only HP ink.   No wonder computer geeks are saying stay away from HP printers...

HP Recommended

I did something similar that you recommended a few days ago, and although I don't have the same screens and options you said to use, I fumbled my way through it for both my Windows 10 laptop, and then---despite crashes and re-opening the machine in safe mode several times---my Windows 7 desktop. BUT your solution only worked once on the laptop. The next day, back to same old error, even after using 123.hp.com to reload driver. error after installing software.JPG I need a permanent solution. Extremely frustrating! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.