Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 6962 Officejet
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Keep getting error message 126:failed to add port monitor HP Discovery port monitor HP office jet 6960. I have tried loading software from disk included with the printer, off the HP online software have ran scan doctor more times than I can count and always the same software faqile to complete installation 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@GJBo

Welcome to HP Forums, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

There are a few more ways of resolving this issue and here's the best way to go ahead:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48 hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry to take so long to get back, but I have been extremely busy with other things as well as this printer problem. The problem still persists so I decided to to wipe the hard drive and reinstll windows. Hopefully that will solve the problem it seems that even after running different virus software and different maleware programs that the drive is corrupted seems to have O.S.  parts either missing or corrupted to many to fix.

thanks for you helpanyway 

HP Recommended

@GJBo

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

Nothing is too corrupted to be fixed, I recommend you check my private message for further assistance:

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

If you would like to thank us for our efforts, you may click on kudos (the thumbs up button)

And If you wish to help the community grow, mark this post as an accepted solution.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, i tried the steps you post for the other guy and the error still pop out is there other way to fix this ?

HP Recommended

This did not help me either but my wife found a solution she took her computer to be repaired because of a cd rom drive problem and the salesman at the repair shop talked her into getting a new computer with windows 10 problem solved.   

HP Recommended

Unfortunately i’m not married 😂😂 so there is no way i can solve it 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.