Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I need help figuring out why I'm getting this error code. The printer stopped connecting to all computers via WIFI. I checked and it shows connected to the WIFI. It has been an ongoing thing too. It started to take longer to connect to a computer. I had to turn off the printer and restart it and even that was a hit and miss fix. I even changed the network to another one that I use in the house. It shows connected, but it doesn't communicate with anything. Oh yeah, my printer is only 5 feet away from the router. HELP!!!!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@rezell3d, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My router is less than 4 feet away from the printer. The router has both 2.4 and 5GHz. I ran the ping test and it transmitted 8 and 0 received. I downloaded the firmware, but when I went to install it in the printer my computer could not find the printer. 

HP Recommended

There isn't any Antivirus on the computer. The computer and the printer are on the same router.

HP Recommended

@rezell3d

What is the make and model of your router?

"I ran the ping test and it transmitted 8 and 0 received." This shows that there is no communication between the devices. 

The printer only supports the 2.4GHz network. The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, share a picture of the printer's network configuration page to further isolate the issue. Follow the steps to print the report-

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Reports.

3. Select Network Configuration to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help, but my problem is it worked for over a year on this set up and nothing has changed. 

HP Recommended

@rezell3d

I understand. If you could help me with the requested details, it will help us isolate the issue further.

Thank you!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.