Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet Ink Advantage 2020hc
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Since recently I found myself unable to get ink level indication.

Using HP Solution Center results in messages shown below (i.e., "Installation of the application is not completed, therefore HP Solution Center cannot be launched").

However, the printer does operate all right, except the above issue.

HP Solution Center operated all right until recently.

Then I downloaded the latest driver version (which is actually the same as already exists) in order to reinstall it. An attempt to start the driver installation yields two options:

1. Install a new device (which is perhaps not my case)
  2. Correct problems of an existing one (which doesn't work)

Furthermore, I  tried to use HP Print & Scan Doctor. Installation starts and then hangs up when the progress bar reaches ca.99%.

I would appreciate any tip.

HP  Solution Center.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for thoughtful and detailed answer.

There are 8 software components related to the HP printer, viz.:

1. HP Customer Participation Program 14.0
  2. HP DeskJet 2020 series. Help.
  3. HP Imaging Device Functions 14.0
  4. HP Smart Web Printing 4.60
  5. HP Solution Center 14.0
  6. HP Support Assistant
  7. HP Support Solutions Framework
  8. HP Update

Is it correct that I should remove all of them prior to install a new package from DJ2020_1321-1.exe, which will then reinstate all the needed components?

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Gregory0204

I read and speak English and a little bit of Spanish -- not helpful in this case.  Smiling.

I would guess the printer software is messed up (an American colloquialism); the printer programs might benefit from being removed (uninstalled) before a new copy of the software is installed.

If you have not done so,

If the software is already installed and you want (need) to uninstall it:

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If you have not done so,

Download, save, and install the Full Feature Software

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

NOTE:  If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).

Video help to install the software:

Open the printer's  Software and Driver support page >

Scroll down to Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (if provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Admittedly, the description for the Firmware Update is lacking in any useful detail -- nonetheless, the updating the Firmware sometimes does fix odd problems not resolved by other means.

In general, printer software can be capricious and can be affected by other software and programs on the computer -- in the case of Windows 7, there may not be a need for Updates (either Windows or HP /vendor Drivers) -- it might be worth checking for Windows and / or Driver updates just in case something "new" or "changed" has impacted the printer setup.

Unfortunately, this printer lacks any kind of front panel access to settings -- apparently you do need the software to be working to check the ink levels.  

User Guide > Chapter 5, Page 19

I will post back if I think of anything else.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for thoughtful and detailed answer.

There are 8 software components related to the HP printer, viz.:

1. HP Customer Participation Program 14.0
  2. HP DeskJet 2020 series. Help.
  3. HP Imaging Device Functions 14.0
  4. HP Smart Web Printing 4.60
  5. HP Solution Center 14.0
  6. HP Support Assistant
  7. HP Support Solutions Framework
  8. HP Update

Is it correct that I should remove all of them prior to install a new package from DJ2020_1321-1.exe, which will then reinstate all the needed components?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Gregory0204

Yes, uninstall the existing printer software before you install a fresh copy.

Rather than try to remove individual components, uninstall the software from the Control Panel.

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Scroll down, click, and Uninstall the software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

• If the printer software is still there OR if you run into issues later that make you think the printer software is not fully or correctly uninstalled, use a program to "zap" (remove) the program(s) > Restart the computer > Try again

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

After you install the Full Feature Software, consider updating the following:

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC / Foxit Reader)

• HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

I reinstalled software from DJ2020_1321-1.exe, whereupon the printer became operable. However, ink level is still unavailable. As far as I can remember, this may only be done with HP Solution Center. My guess was that this component was included in the installation package, which is not obviously the case. How do I get it?

Thank you.

11-08-2017

My problem is still there.

Soft reinstallation changed nothing.

HP Print and Scan Doctor, allegedly intended to substitute HP Solution Center, seems inoperable. The attached screenshot shows troubleshooting progress bar. Note the right end where it stops and hangs up. "Cancel' key does not work either. The only way to exit is using Task Manager. Could anyone suggest a solution?

Thank you.

HP PSD.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.