Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserjetM254
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Recently upgraded firmware as was having printing issues

Printing issues resolved for about 2 days but now continually reports Supplies memory error.

Looking to return to previous fiormware but cannot source

Any ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@deesloop,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Let's try these steps:

• Perform a Power Reset
    • Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
    • Turn the printer on.
    • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
    • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
    • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Wait at least 60 seconds
    • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
    • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
    • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
    • Check if the error goes off
    • Try to print. If the issue persists proceed to the next step
  • Check and remove any packing material/orange tape from the toner cartridge, and from inside the printer.

• Clean the toner cartridge contact (metal pins) which is mounted inside the printer and check for any obstacles.

• Check & clean the vertical sensor flag  Make sure flag toggles freely.

• Check whether or not the cartridge chip (e-label) is closed touch with metal points. If not, press the cartridge a little to see if the issue disappears.

• Install the toner cartridge back and make sure it clicks in place.

• Also, check for any jammed papers near the toner area.

• Refer to this document for more info.

Let me know what happens.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information, however I was asked about firmware as I knew the issue.

To HP's shame., the last a firmware disabled the use of non-hp toner cartridges.

Deliberately manufacturing an update to invalidate them, items which are entirely

outwith HP's remit, is invasive, unhelpful and undermines trust.

The toner I choose to use is not HP's concern and if it were sensibly priced then there

wouldnt be a market for others.

HP Recommended

@deesloop,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I too have the same issue as Deesloop and would like to have this fixed. I would like for someone at HP to contact me as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.