Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How can I downgrade my firmware version? The printer was apparently set to automatic updates by default and has upgraded to a firmware that has rendered my ink cartridges unusable; no warning, no confirmation request

I purchased this printer under the assumption that I would be able to use any compatible ink cartridge since HP had previously done this exact same upgrade in 2016 and after public uproar they rolled out a firmware version that removed the security chip feature. I'm now left with a lot of money spent on what used to be compatible cartridges

This step isn't driving me to use HP original ink cartridges. This printer is out of warranty and I'll just by from Epson, a company that is less aggressive and hostile towards their existing customers

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

You can find instructions on how to upgrade (downgrade) printers firmware with a rfu file on Google

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for quick reply. This is a bunch of text and characters. What am I supposed to do with these files. Isn't there a place where I can click a link and have it execute a program

HP Recommended

Any thoughts? Have spent a ton of time on Google to no avail

I right click on that website, download rfu files to my desktop. It shows what looks like document or web page icons

If i double click it asks what program to use

I'm stuck there

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  HP did it again: firmware upgrades block all 3rd party cartridges.

They claim it is a security patch or what ever.  Every year another story...

I have 4 HP printers, but I will not buy any HP printer anymore...

Is there anybody that can tell us how to install one of these .rju files?

HP Recommended

You can find instructions on how to upgrade (downgrade) printers firmware with a rfu file on Google

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Apparently, this happened to both me and a friend. Because we both got the same error on the same day, I assumed there's a problem with the firmware, and lo, it was recently "updated" and now I'm getting "printhead missing" errors (HP 8715). Any ideas? I have real HP cartridges, too. Grrr. 

HP Recommended

That link says I don't have permissions to access.

HP Recommended

Me too access denied, , can someone share the procedure

HP Recommended

It gets worse, not better. After getting the newest updated cartridges from LD Ink,  they work. but they print color like **bleep**. I am about to go on a NO HP Social media campaign. I contacted the NY AG and they called me back sand said they would make some noise for us. They need to fix this.
Pissed in Rochester NY

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.