Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do you know what firmware driver to use to gao back one for the HP 8715 printer? 

Joe B

[personal information removed]

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

You cannot downgrade a printer firmware.

Could you please let me know what problem you experience?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Shlmil,

Yes,

1.) after researching my problem # 2, and looking at my firmware date on my computer, it all made sense. On Easter I tried printing 2 sided projects on thicker paper, as I always do and it kept giving me paper jam issues. I never had an issue till that update. I make card all the time and since then, this printer won't. I am so irked after finding out about this update.

2. Then, just the other day I received my new ink from LD products, an ink third party that I have been using for over 2 years on various printers, when my 8715 shot an error saying the cartridge was no good, or try to reload. I then found out the real reason is that HP sent a bug in the firmware to stop the HP printers from being able to use third party ink.

What the heck, this is BS. I paid for the dam printer and own it. Now they want to tell me what Ink I can use. I think not. I am about to embark on a very big and long social media campaign to slap HP from taking our printers hostage. It is equivalent to Chevrolet making you buy gas that costs over twice as much.

If HP wants us to buy their ink, then sell it more reasonably priced, don't pee all over their customers and sabotage their printers.

Let me know your thoughts and how to fix this print problem and the ink companies are working on new chips in their ink, so that problem will sort out, however, I think I my next printer may not be an HP! Too bad I have bought many HP's over the years. This happened a few years ago too, AND when the got backlash they sent a fix. I think twice is too much for me to endure.

Joe B

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

A friend of mine and I both got the same error on the same day--printhead missing. I looked and see that my printer firmware was recently updated. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problems with my office jet pro 8740. This may be the last hp printer because they do this BS all the time. 

HP Recommended

@Cmcaddis

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am really ticked off right now.  I purchased this 8710 a year ago and now i want to load the ink i have already purchased and i am getting this same problem.  I  own this printer.  HP does not.  Take the security off and let me use the ink i want to use!!!

NOW!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

And dont give me this private message crap!

[edit]

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my HP Office jet 8740. I bought a large inventory of non hp ink and after your last firmware update all of my inventory is USELESS!  Sorry to say this is my last hp printer for my business. I can’t afford your reluctance’s for non-go inks. Would appreciate a firmware downgrade to allow the rest of my inventory to be used. 

I very unhappy with hp now. I will purchase all future printers from your competition. 

Charles Addis

Addis consultation 

HP Recommended

I definitely agree with you. My 8740 had the same issue after their last 8740  firmware update. No more Hp printers for my business. I have a large inventory of useless non HP ink now. My business suffers financially when they (HP) does this BS. 

The need to fix this NOW. 

Charlie Addis 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.