Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 3830 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see many people posting about this same error message, but I don't see any solutions.  I' m a teacher trying desperately to help my students but this kind of frustration is making me crazy.  Please give me some advice to get this NEW printer working properly again.  Thanks..

Anita

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Anita4162 

Not sure where you are seeing the message - or what caused it - nor do I know which printer software you are using or how you are connected to the printer.

I can offer the following...

Reference

For example - printer software for your windows 10:

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available from the Windows Store.

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

AND / OR

Full Feature Software / Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

What is wrong?

I would guess the printer has lost connection to your network, though that also assumes you are connected via standard Wireless (unknown).

Reference

User Guide

Chapter 8 - Connect your printer - starting on Page 85

Consider / Try

Having offline, installation, or odd connection issues?

Use this version of the Doctor first:

HPPSdr.exe

Information / version file

HPPSdr.xml

No joy?

Method - Create TCP IP port

Example:

How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by greenturtle

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Left-Click Printer Properties > Select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:
Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

OR

Method – Add printer using TCP/IP

Please try removing the printer from Devices and Printers > Click on printer and Remove

then (re)adding the printer using the printer’s IP address

Find the IP Address of the printer on the Printer control panel (touch Wireless button)

Control Panel > icon view Devices and Printers

Click in the top ribbon, Add a Printer

Wait till the menu starts…
Select / Click The printer that I want isn’t listed
Select / Click Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname

Select / Click Next
Device Type > Select in Drop-Down Menu:  TCP/IP Device

Hostname or IP Address > Enter the IP Address of the printer

(Skip Port Name)

Select / Click Next

More information may be needed.

=================================

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.