Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

General Failure using Envy 7640

Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an Envy 7640 multi function printer.  Frequently when scanning using  HP Scan and Capture app, I receive a "general failure" error message.  When I turn the printer off and back on, the issue seems to correct itself.  I've tried reinstalling the software and drive but the problem persists.  I'm hoping there might be a more permanent solution.

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
4656 248 367
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@oboistjs

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out. :)

I went through the post, and I see that you've already performed most of the troubleshooting steps, Kudos to you on that. :)

However, Did you try to update the firmware of the printer? If not, 

please follow this link https://hp.care/2JhxN3M and update the printer's firmware, and this should fix it for you. ;)

Let me know how that pans out.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. ;)

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
oboistjs Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  I did as you suggested.  The response was that the firmware had been updated as of 9/6/17 with firmware NSM5CN1736AR and that the printer is up to date. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15320 1009 1659
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@oboistjs,

It looks like you were interacting with @Barachiel, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service.

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to assign static IP address for the printer.

Here are the steps listed below for you to do the same (the menu option might change according to the printer EWS and firmware version):

Restart the printer and obtain the printer IP address.

Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.

Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Restart the printer and router once done.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation