Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, my wife changed printer cartridges on our HP Envy 7640 printer, installing genuine HP cartridges.  Anyway, now ther is a constant messageon on the printers 3"x4" display window that "Genuine HP Ink Cartridges Installed".   The printer still prints, but the display contstantly has this message, and the printer thus cannot be controlled.  I installed the HP Support Assistant from HP, and installed some updates, but that did not help. I'm using a USB connection to the printer.  I've seen postings about settting registery settings, but I dont have any such settings as far as I can tell.  Anyone else see this problem?  

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello@crackleback,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. One Stop for all sort of solutions for your HP Products.

I have read your post and understand that you need assistance in fixing the message related to the cartridge. Is that, right? I will be glad to help you.

I request you to perform the steps mentioned below and check if that solves the issue.

Printer power reset

• Make sure the printer is idle, not making any sounds, before continuing.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

This should solve the issue.  Let me know for more solution.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello@crackleback,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. One Stop for all sort of solutions for your HP Products.

I have read your post and understand that you need assistance in fixing the message related to the cartridge. Is that, right? I will be glad to help you.

I request you to perform the steps mentioned below and check if that solves the issue.

Printer power reset

• Make sure the printer is idle, not making any sounds, before continuing.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

This should solve the issue.  Let me know for more solution.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Af first it after reconnecting power, I had the same message.  Next I powered it down again and reinstalled the printer cartridages, powered it up, got the same message, clicked OK and the message went away.  I got my printer back.   

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Thanks, this worked.  To clarify for others who have this same problem, once you have unplugged cord from back of printer and subsequently pluged it back in click on the "OK" button on the display and it should work; It did for me.  This is important since clicking on the "OK" button on the display prior to unpluging cord will not work; Only after the power cord has been unplugged and then pluged back in again.    

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my All in One 5510d printer, but this solution has not worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.